"Turmi, village of the Hamer people" Turmi by sachara
Turmi Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 78 photos
We stayed for three days in Turmi, the maintown of the Hamer. It was an easygoing town. We visited the market and the primary school. And were invited for dinner at the compound of a local Hamer family.
The Hamer people are known for their remarkable hairstyles. The women rub a mixture of ochre, water and butter in their hair, creating coppery-coloured tresses, known as goscha. The women wear torques and bead necklaces around their neck and goatskin skirts, decorated with kaurishells.
At the monday market in Turmi the Hamer people from the small villages around come to the marketsquare to sell their vegetables, sorghum, millet, spices, butter and milk. In Dimeka, a village north of Turmi is a market at tuesday and saturday
When we walked along the road, we met a lot of the friendly local people greeting us. Mostly they stopped to try to talk... more travel advice
Between the campsite and the village we walked several times along the main road, leading from Turmi to Konso and the... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Turmi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turmi, village of the Hamer people"
- "Omo Valley Staging Point"
- "TURMI--Where You Can Step Back in Time 1000 Years"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turmi
- Hotels in Turmi
- Transportation in Turmi
- Restaurants in Turmi
- Warnings and Dangers in Turmi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turmi
- 18 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (195)
Have you been to Turmi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turmi
Photos in TurmiSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues