"Balat in the Dakhla Oasis" Balat by sachara
Balat Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 13 photos
In the Western or Libyan Desert, west of the Nile and bordered by Libya, are five isolated oases, the Bahariya, Farafra, Dakhla, El Kharga and in the far north west the Siwa Oasis.
The Dakhla Oasis is more than 400 KM west of Luxor and can be reached from the east from Luxor or Asyut passing the El Kharga Oasis. From the north can the oasis be reached from Cairo passing the Bahariya and Farafra Oasis.
Nowadays it is possible to reach Dakhla by tarred road.
The Dakhla Oasis, with 600 natural springs and ponds, is inhabited since the prehistoric times. There are nowadays 70.000 inhabitants in the oasis.
For the other oases see my Farafra, Bawiti and Siwa pages.
- Pros:medieval atmosphere
You can visit the Dakhla Oasis by tarred road. On the picture is the closed old road between Mut and al Kharga covered... more travel advice
Walking in Balat you think you're in a time machine and back in the middle ages. And then suddenly you're back in the... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Balat Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Balat
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Balat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balat
Photos in BalatSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues