"Siwa Oasis" Top 5 Page for this destination Siwa by sachara

Siwa Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 355 photos

in the far west of the western desert

The Siwa Oasis was a very isolated place deep into the desert near the Libyan border. Only an old date caravan route passed the oasis.
Siwa was only inhabited by Berber speaking people with their own traditions for a long time.

The first time I heard of Siwa (I can remember it was in 1989 in Yemen that an arabist friend from the Netherlands told me about the oasis) I knew I had to go there once.
Eleven years later I made the trip with high expectations.

• In a nutshell:wonderfull oasistown dominated by the Shali Fortress
  • Last visit to Siwa: Apr 2000
  • Intro Updated Aug 12, 2003

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Hope Siwa hasn't modernized too much before I get there, love your photos and tips.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I don't know when it will happen, but Siwa is somewhere both MrL and I intend to see sometime. leyle

• Mar 27, 2007 at 9:12 PM

dear ali, how are you? thought i would just pop in and say hi, and see one of your pages that makes me dream of deserts and oasis! nice page!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Wow, what a wonder in this "Far West" oasis! Is there or has there been at some time olive trees around lake Zeitun, that would explain the name? It is great to find some shade for a rest at noon!

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 9:05 PM

Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you , Happy birthday to Ali, Happy birthday to you. :) :X :)

• travelife's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 12:57 PM

You have seen something around Siwa what I haven seen. Just read in guidebooks. But I liked my 2-days stay there.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2005 at 1:02 AM

You found a great place for lunch! I hope to visit Siwa on my trip to Egypt. It looks interesting and beautiful!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 12:20 PM

An excellent page on this interesting trip! That oasis is HUGE and so strange to have a large lake! I loved your Transportation tips, as always!!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 2:26 PM

What an amazing page and photos. Siwa sounds lovely.

• lichinga's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2003 at 2:48 AM

Wonderful place, I also always though about visiting the oasis west of the Nile valley!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Riga in May ”

Badges & Stats in Siwa