"Tiebele, Kassena houses" Tiebele Corabie by sachara
Tiebele Corabie Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 36 photos
Tiébélé is famous for its nicily painted kassena houses. The traditional windowless houses, the so-called sukhala, are built like a fortress. The Kassena women decorate the walls with guinea-fowl feathers in the colours red, black and white. The geometrical patterns, motifs and symbols have all a meaning. You can see calabash, boa, crosses, tortoise, sun, moon or lizards.
The highlight of Tiébélé is the chief?s compound, theTièbèle's Cour Royale in the centre of the town.
We stayed in the Auberge Kunkolo in traditional local style. The builidings and huts are beautifully painted in the traditionial designs. Kunkolo is a wonderful laid-back place with a great green inner court yard.
Dramane our guide invites us in his family compound in the village of Kassira about 5 kilometers from Tièbèle. The family of Dramane organized an impressive dance performance for us. Usually this dance is only performed only once every 7 year. It was a big event, for us, but also for the family as we were the first foreign visitors in their village.
The Village d'Acceuil Jean Viars has 12 rooms either in round huts or in the main building. Opposite the Royal Court... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Tiebele Corabie Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Tiebele Corabie
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (199)
Have you been to Tiebele Corabie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiebele Corabie
Photos in Tiebele CorabieSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 75 reviews, 390 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues