"Aanjar" Top 5 Page for this destination `Anjar by sachara

`Anjar Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 193 photos

Umayyad city

Aanjar is the only significant Umayyad site in Lebanon, situated in the southern part of the Beeka Valley.
After the discovery of Aanjar in the 1940s the excavations started not before the 1950s.
Aanjar was a fortified city with a rectangular lay-out.
Positioned at the long distance east-west trade route, Aanjar seemed to have been a major trading place with hundreds shops.
The Omayyad period was from 661 to 750 AD.
There are still many unanswered questions about this site, but probably Kalif Walid I and his son Abbas decided to build a palace in this site in the 8th century.

• Last visit to `Anjar: Apr 1995
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2003

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 2:52 AM

Aanjar is such a pretty and peaceful place! I loved it. I see you also made it to Lake Qaraoun (my tip on the lake is under Bekaa Valley). Cheers!

• Jan 12, 2006 at 12:19 AM

if i had more time, i could spend hours on your pages alone! ali, your travels are just wonderful, you inspire me to give it more of a go! all the best for you in 2006, happy travels!

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 1:18 PM

Lovely page of Anjar. Thanks for sharing Ali.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 12:04 PM

It is a nice place. I went on a tour but we were allowed to stray off from the group too. I loved the brick work, and the fact that at least three different civilizations contributed in some way in its structure.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 10:24 AM

A place I missed when I was in Lebanon. But I have to visit Anjar on my next visit. Happy New Year Ali!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2004 at 2:17 AM

What a marvellous spot this is - fantastic pictures and great info! Thanks a lot for sharing, Ali!!!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 1:23 PM

Amazing pictures and great info, Ali!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 11:20 PM

My happiness to see this page is = the happiness of being the first who see it :-)) Thanks Alije

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in `Anjar