"Aanjar" Top 5 Page for this destination `Anjar by sachara
`Anjar Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 193 photos
Aanjar is the only significant Umayyad site in Lebanon, situated in the southern part of the Beeka Valley.
After the discovery of Aanjar in the 1940s the excavations started not before the 1950s.
Aanjar was a fortified city with a rectangular lay-out.
Positioned at the long distance east-west trade route, Aanjar seemed to have been a major trading place with hundreds shops.
The Omayyad period was from 661 to 750 AD.
There are still many unanswered questions about this site, but probably Kalif Walid I and his son Abbas decided to build a palace in this site in the 8th century.
After our visit to Aanjar we drove further to the south in the Beeka Valley. First along the Chouf Mountains at the... more travel advice
The most striking of the remains of the Umayyad palace in Aanjar are the elegant tiers of arches, that betray a... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
`Anjar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Lost Umayyad City of Aanjar"
- "An Umayyid site"
- "The Umayyad City Of Aanjar..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in `Anjar
- Transportation in `Anjar
- Restaurants in `Anjar
- Warnings and Dangers in `Anjar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in `Anjar
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to `Anjar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in `Anjar
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues