"Baalbeck" Top 5 Page for this destination Baalbeck by sachara
Baalbeck Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 504 photos
Baalbeck the suncity of the ancient world is the most important Roman site in the Middle East.
The site was originally Phoenician and dedicated to the God Baal, so the name Baalbeck.
The Greeks and the Romans called the city Heliopolis or City of the sun.
They dedicated the great temple to Jupiter, who was associated with Baal, the god of the sun.
The Bacchus temple was dedicated to Venus associated with Astarte, the chief female deity.
Baalbeck suffered with the passage of time. Its history disappeared in legend and its temples became unrecognisable through Byzantine and medieval additions, ravages of war, earthquakes and vandalism.
After restoration and removal of later additions the buildings of Baalbeck have again their original
Walking between the ruins you can't hardly imagine, how the temple complex really had looked like in the former... more travel advice
After visiting the impressive buildings of the Baalbeck site, we looked at some smaller treasuries, like this very nice... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Baalbeck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roman grandeur"
- "Julia Augusta Felix"
- "City of the Sun and Hezbollah"
- "Baalbek - Heliopolis"
- "BAALBECK - CITY OF THE SUN"
- "The City of the Sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baalbeck
- Hotels in Baalbeck
- Transportation in Baalbeck
- Nightlife in Baalbeck
- Restaurants in Baalbeck
- Shopping in Baalbeck
- Warnings and Dangers in Baalbeck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baalbeck
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (143)
Have you been to Baalbeck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baalbeck
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues