"Beirut" Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut by sachara

Beirut Travel Guide: 924 reviews and 1,814 photos

At the end of the civil war the Martyrs statue is the only recognisable feature of the pre-war days at the Martyrs square in downtown Beirut, once the bustling place to be in Beirut, the Paris of the Middle East.
Downtown Beirut was the area where much of the fighting between the rival militias took place.

The people of Beirut continue their dayly life, even between the ruins of the war.

When we visited Beirut in 1995, there were a lot of rebuilding activities, everywhere in the city.
After 20 years I made it to Beirut finally. I had plans to go there in 1973, but I didn't. So in 1995 I didn't bring images in my memory of how Beirut looked like in the pre-war days.

• Last visit to Beirut: Apr 1995
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I see Beirut is a great city....

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 5:40 AM

Superb Beirut page with lovely photographs! West Beirut, Downtown Beirut and Harissa seems interesting to explore! The Martyrs statue and the Grand Mosque certainly look amazing! ~ho & pang

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 12:15 AM

It's such a pleasure toread your pages! I look forward to visiting Harissa as I've heard many Lebanese are truly devoted to her.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Hiya! Thnaks for looking at my Ethiopia page. I just discovered your Beruit page. I was very impressed with their quality rebuilding. I was here in 2002. All the very best!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2008 at 6:43 PM

As my favorite neighbors are from Lebanon, I was most interested in your amazing insights and information. So sad, but such strong people. Your tips are like reading a personal travel journey. Loved it.

• Oct 27, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Hello, but this church is not orthodox.. This church is called St. Paul's church (Greek-catholic) (BOOLSIEH)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 8:08 AM

You were there in 1995, my last visit was 2005 - so many changes in those 10 years, but the spirit of Beirut does not change. leyle

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 2:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful insights & photosgraphs! I really enjoyed your tips. Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Pictures of a bombed and terrified city in the middle east and nevertheless an interesting place to visit i guess Greetz from Belgium

• sarrahh's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 11:10 PM

Happy New Year see u soon in Beirut

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour. ”

Badges & Stats in Beirut