"Sidon" Sidon by sachara
Sidon Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 338 photos
The ancient town Sidon or Saida is the largest town in south Lebanon.
Sidon was one of the most important Phoenician cities, but not many remains of the ancient city have survived the ravages of time, like the earthquake in 551 AD.
There is evidence that Sidon was settled as long ago as 4.000 BC.
Like in Tyre much of the wealth of Sidon came from the murex trade, which produced a valued purple dye. Like most Phoenician cities Sidon was built on a promontory facing an island, which sheltered its fleet from storms of the sea.
The Phoenician period began around the 12th to the 10th centuries BC and reached its golden age during the Persian period (550-333 BC) . During this period the Temple of Echmoun, 2KM north east of Sidon, was built.
At the end of the Persian era the Sidonians couldn't resist the forces of invaders. After locking the gates they set fire to the city. More than 40.000 Sidonians died in the flames.
The decimated city was too weak to oppose the triumphal march of Alexander the Great. The Sidonians handed over power to the Greek without struggle.
In the Roman period (64 BC-330 AD) the city became the status of republic, before passing into the hands of the Byzantines. In the Byzantine time Sidon became the seat of the bishophric.
From 667 Sidon came in Arabic hands and was administered from Damascus.
Joun is a large village 15 KM south east of Sidon in the midst of olive plantations. it's a nice area to wander around.... more travel advice
Two KM northeast of Sidon, right of the bridge on Nahr el Awali in the garden Bustan el Sheikh is the Phoenician Temple... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Sidon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historically calorific..."
- "Sidon صيدا"
- "Saidoon the Phoenician"
- "About Sidon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sidon
- Transportation in Sidon
- Nightlife in Sidon
- Restaurants in Sidon
- Shopping in Sidon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sidon
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Sidon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sidon
Photos in SidonSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues