"Tyre" Top 5 Page for this destination Tyre by sachara
Tyre Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 343 photos
Tyr was the greatest Phoenician city-state. From here the Phoenicians sailed out for Carthage and founded their empire.
Herodotus visited Tyre during the 5th century BC and described the temple of Melkart (Heracles). The priests told hime that the temple was built 2.300 years before, when Tyre was founded, which dates Tyre back to 2.750 BC.
Originally Tyre consisted of two parts, an island city and the overspill on the mainland. Hiram, king of Tyre, connected the island and the mainland.
Flourishing maritime trade, colonies in the Mediterranenan, purple dye and glass industries made Tyre prosperous and wealthy.
Excavations have uncovered Phoenician, Graeco-Roman, Crusader, Byzantine and Arab remains.
The Greek alphabet and the name Europa originate from Tyre.
Since 1979 Tyre has been declared a World Heritage Site.
At the north side of the peninsula of Tyre is the Sidonian harbour, so called because it faces Sidon. At the south side... more travel advice
On the old Phoenician city island is another archaeological site. It is a large site of collonades, public baths, mosaic... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Tyre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tyre - Ancient Queen of the Seas"
- "Tyre (Sur) صور"
- "Sour - Tyre"
- "Charmed by Tyre - Sour"
- "A beautiful city of Tyre"
- "Beyond the pale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tyre
- Hotels in Tyre
- Transportation in Tyre
- Restaurants in Tyre
- Shopping in Tyre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tyre
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Tyre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tyre
Photos in TyreSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues