Paris Local Custom Tips by sachara
Paris Local Customs: 780 reviews and 816 photos
bouquinistes along the Seine
Along the quais of the Seine you can find the stalls of the 'les bouquinistes'. These booksellers sell all kind of old books, but also old drawings and prints. If you like to take your time to search for old books, it's nice to walk along the stalls and look around.
Allready for centuries the bouquinistes sell their books along the Seine. In the evening they had to bring their boxes with books back home. Since the beginning of the 20th century they are allowed to leave their stalls to leave behind at the quais.
Walking in the streets of Paris you will encounter many unexpected surprises. After visiting the Jardin du Luxembourg I saw an impressive photo exhibition at the iron fence of the garden along the Rue de Medicis.
The Senate, housed in the Palais du Luxembourg, presented these photographes during the three summer months. At the poster I red: ´20 photographes pour les 20 ans de reporters san frontières´ (twenty photographs for the 20 years of reporters without boundaries).
The pictures made in countries like Iraq, Rwanda, Liberia, Nicaragua and many more countries were impressive, shocking and touching. I watched each picture. Every picture was showing a part of the -often cruel- recent history of our world.
Everywhere in Paris you will find posters of all kind of cultural events, showing the cosmopolitain atmosphere of the city. Exhibitions of all kind, life music, dance from all over the world. Even if you are not able to visit or to visit all, it gives the feeling of the endless possibilities the city has to offer.
Though most posters are hanging just at the walls in the streets or metro, in the city you will also see the typical elegant columns for advertisement at some corners of the street.
Paris will not be Paris without the painting artists in the streets. Especially at the Place du Tertre in
Montmartre and the bridges near the Ile de Cité you can't miss them. Mostly lots of people are standing around the painting artist to look if the painting looks like the 'model'.
The artists have all their own style, making caricature drawings to a natural looking paintings. Some of the paintings are extremily good look-alikes, but some images could also depict anyone around or one of my neighbours at home.
More Reviews (96)
- See All looking for a bargain...
- See All From Esplanade des Invalides to...
- See All Fountain de Observatoire
- See All Paris Plage
sachara's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Explore the World
- Prairie du Chien
- Niskayuna Hotels
- Shocco Springs Hotels
- Tijuana Hotels
- Webster Hotels
- Peach Springs
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 100 Reviews
- 384 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (384)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (162)
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Atel Relais Medicis
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Passage Dubail
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Novotel Orly Rungis
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- OPERA DEAUVILLE
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel de Cabourg
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Timhotel Opera Madeleine
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Hotel Mayflower
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Hotel Etoile Trocadero
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Hotel Francois 1er - a Summit Hotel
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Campanile Maine Montparnasse Paris
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Hotel Princesse Caroline
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Camping International de Maisons-Laffitte
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Best Western Paris Louvre Opera
- 203 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Royal Hotel Paris Champs Elysees
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Les Jardins de la Villa
- 423 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Montmartre - Sacré Coeur- 578 Reviews, 1022 Photos
- Eiffel Tower- 811 Reviews, 1417 Photos
- Louvre- 779 Reviews, 1531 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 639 Reviews, 1292 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 432 Reviews, 741 Photos
- Musée d'Orsay- 268 Reviews, 537 Photos
- Latin Quarter- 81 Reviews, 231 Photos
- Champs Elysées- 174 Reviews, 287 Photos
- Sainte-Chapelle- 143 Reviews, 348 Photos
- Disneyland Paris- 110 Reviews, 163 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do