Ashgabat Favorite Tips by sachara Top 5 Page for this destination
Ashgabat Favorites: 11 reviews and 17 photos
Moneychanger at the entrance of the Russian Market
Favorite thing: In former years you could change you money at the black market or at the bank with huge differences in the rates. It was not easy to change money at the bank, I heard. They were hardly open and your rate was really bad. So the only option was the black market with good rates. How easy it was to find someone I don't know.
Now the system has changed. At several places in town are kiosks where you can change money for a fixed rate. This rate is somewhere between the old bankrate and black market rate.
In Ashgabat I know anyway two kiosks downtown. One is at the entrance of the Russian Market and another is in the shoppingcentre opposite the Russian market at the groundfloor. Be prepared to get huge heaps of billets and be almost a 'manat' millionnair for some days.
don't loose them
Favorite thing: For Turkmenistan you need a visa. Turkmenistan was part of my Silk Road trip visiting 5 different countries. Because of the time needed to get all the visa in advance and the extremily long time it took the get the Turkmen visa, the travelagant decided to get it first at the airport of Ashgabat. The costs were 95 euro (july 2008).
It took some time. Except the visa in our pasport we got some more doucments like an entry travel pass (see picture 1 and 3) with three pieces. The first one they kept after we had to leave our passport at the hotel reception for registration. The other two parts they first took when we crossed the border to Uzbekistan. Anyway at the homestay in the desert and in the nighttrain they didn't ask for the papers.
We also got a 'departure sheet of the foreigner' (see picture 1 and 2). This one we had to keep till we left the country. The same with the declaration form.
More Reviews (17)
sachara's Related Pages
Ashgabat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City Of Love"
- "Ashgabat, the City of White Marble !"
- "Ashgabat - the city that keeps on changing"
- "Thalam Ashgabatdan"
- "The White City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ashgabat
- Hotels in Ashgabat
- Transportation in Ashgabat
- Nightlife in Ashgabat
- Restaurants in Ashgabat
- Shopping in Ashgabat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ashgabat
- See All...
Explore the World
- Provincetown Hotels
- Chiba-ken Hotels
- Bojongsoang Hotels
- Ekensberg Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ashgabat
- 19 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Ashgabat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashgabat
Photos in AshgabatSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues