Ko Chang Things to Do Tips by sachara Top 5 Page for this destination

Ko Chang Things to Do: 48 reviews and 83 photos

Sunset at the  beach - Ko Chang
Sunset at the beach

Not only the sunrise, but also the sunsets were breathtaking at the beach. The sky was colouring bright orange at the moment the sun disappeared after the peninsula. While sitting at the beach and enjoying the views and atmosphere, especially at the last evening, I felt melancholy because it would be also my last evening in Thailand.....

I stayed at the beach till dark with my own feelings and thoughts. We had also our dinner at the beach. After dinner I stayed at the beach again for hours, forgetting the time, while enjoying the sea and the sky full of stars..... feeling happy and sad at the same time.

Address: Ao Bang Bao / Ao Khlong Kloi

reaching the fishing village by boat - Ko Chang

reaching the fishing village by boat

To Ban Bang Bao by boat

The day after we visited Ban Bang Bao by feet we could make a revisit with our boat. It was a nice boatride in the Bang Bao bay with nice views at the surrounding mountains, beaches with palmtrees, the peninsula and the fishing village at stilts. This time all the fishing boats wer back from the sea.

The Thai woman from the restaurant in the harbour in Trat joined us and offered us a sweet cocos snack from the village.

It was quite a difference to be in the tiny village with the two of us like yesterday or with seven people this time. We walked also to the land to have a look at a coconut farm where monkeys were trained to pick up the coconuts. We all got a coconut for drink.

Address: Ao Bang Bao

Penisula west of Ban Bang Bao - Ko Chang
Penisula west of Ban Bang Bao

From the fishing village Bang Bao we walked further into the direction of the peninsula at the south-west side of the village. We reached a narrow stripe of land with view at the Bang Bao bay (Ao Bang Bao) at one side and at the ocean at the other side.

The coast at the oceanside was steep and rocky. We tried to go into the sea, but hurted easily our feet and legs at the sharp rocks with shells. So we looked for shade and a piece of beach at the innerside looking out at the Bang Bao bay and the fishing village. After some rest and a swim we started our walk back to the campement.

I found out that nowadays there must be a resort at this unspoilt place we visited in the 80s. It is called the Nirvana Resort.

Address: Ao Bang Bao

Website: http://www.koh-chang.com/Nirvana_Resort_Koh_Chang/index.htm

Ban Bang Bao, village Bang Bao - Ko Chang

Ban Bang Bao, village Bang Bao

Visit to Ban Bang Bao, fishing village at stilts

Though some houses of Ban Bang Bao are scattered in the bush and some stand at the seashore, most houses are built at stilts at a pier far into the water.

We walked to the end of the pier, to the landing stage for the fishingboats of the fishermen living in this village. Earlier in the morning I heard the boats while they were going to the sea for fishing. At the moment of our first visit they weren't back yet.

At he pier we found some small shops with softdrinks. We bought some because we were thirsty after or walk, though we brought also water and fruits ourselves. Between the houses we saw many shells of coconuts, fishing nets and bamboo cages for crabs. I supposed fish and coconuts are the two main means for living of the villagers.

Address: Ban Bang Bao, village Bang Bao

view at Ban Bang Pao - Ko Chang

view at Ban Bang Pao

Walk along the coast to Ban Bang Bao

From our campement it was a walk of about one and half hour to the fishing village Ban Bang Pao. First we had to wade through the water between the sea and the lagoon..... the water reached my middle. After a climb over some rocks it was a nice walk in the shade of the coconut palms following a narrow bushpath along the seashore. We collected some coconuts and drunk the coconut milk.

From far we could allready see the fishing village Ban Bang Bao, built at stilts in the water. After crossing a small bridge we reached the first houses at the seashore, also partly built at stilts.

Address: Ban Bang Bao

lagoon - Ko Chang

lagoon

The serenity of the lagoon

Our hide-away at Ko Chang has a very special location at a strip of land between the sea at the southside and a lagoon at the north side. The view at the lagoon was stunning. The lagoon was surrounded by palmtrees and mangrove with mountains at the background.

The difference between the moving water of the sea and the tranquility and serenity of the lagoon with its reflections was fascinating.

Address: Ao Bang Bao/ Ao Khlong Kloi

Directions: Southcoast of Ko Chang

Walking along the beach - Ko Chang
Walking along the beach

Early in the morning and in the late afternoon I walked along the beach. It was special to be in such an enchanting environment, feeling almost alone on the world. I looked at the tiny crabs running along the seashore. I had even to look very well to discover the tiniest ones being not bigger as giant spiders.

I sat for a while at a tree trunk on the beach, playing with my feet in the water and sand, creating a piece of landart which changed all the time by the waves and the sea water. Thoughtless my hands collected shells, seaweed and pieces of coral around me. Thoughtless..... but at the same time full of thougths.

Enjoying the sea, the water, the temperature and the divine surroundings I hopped back to the huts, happy like a child.

Address: Ao Bang Bao/ Ao Khlong Kloi

Directions: South part of Ko Chang

Waiting for the sunrise... - Ko Chang
Waiting for the sunrise...

The first morning around 6am I couldn't stay longer in my hut and walked the few meters to the beach with my camera and diary. I sat down in the white sand with only the noise of the waves rolling on the beach and the soft noise of the fishing boats far away in the bay.

In my diary I read:
'' The atmosphere is really fairy-like. The sun is still behind the mountain. The sky is first blue rose and colours orange after some time.The rocks look black against the brightly enlightened sea in the east. The tiny islands are still hazy grey, but start to change in greener colours.

It's fascinating to see the changing of the colours. I see the first sunbeams at the palms at the other side of the beach. Little by litte I see the approaching sunlight at the beach. Suddenly the temperature starts to rise and... yes I see the sun and am sitting in the morning sun now myself.''

Address: Khlong Kloi bay / Bang Bao bay

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Ko Chang

Have you been to Ko Chang?

Latest Activity in Ko Chang