"Ulaanbaatar" Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar by sachara
Ulaanbaatar Travel Guide: 293 reviews and 847 photos
Ulaanbaatar is the capital of the country and with over one quarter of its population the largest city in Mongolia.
The town has the relaxed atmosphere of a small town. The centre is dominated by Soviet-style high rise apartment blocks, but 250.000 locals live in the extended ger ( traditional tents) suburbs.
In Ulaanbaatar is one of the ''big three'' Tibetan Buddhist monasteries of Mongolia, the Gandan monastery, but we saw also some other Buddhist temples and buildings in town.
So the city has an striking mixture of differences in architecture and culture.
We visited Mongolia and Ulaanbaatar on our trip to Tibet.
The Tibetan Buddhism was the ''red thread'' of our trip with visits to the Gandan monastery in Ulaanbaatar and the Erdene Zuu monastery in Kharkhorin in Mongolia. In China we visited the Labrang monastery in Xia He before going to our final destination, Tibet.
Ulaanbaatar is built along the Tuul River and is surrounded by mountains.
In the centre of Ulaanbaatar lays the large Sukhbaatar Square, also simply known as the Square.
We stayed in the Bayangol Hotel, a high building just south of the Square, one of the landmarks in town.
The Trans-Mongolian Railway is the only international train crossing Mongolia, from Moscow to Beiing and visa-versa. The... more travel advice
Near the Manzshir Monastery is a museum. In the museum we saw requisite animal trophies like the skins of snowleopards.... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Ulaanbaatar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ulaanbaatar - UB"
- "Welcome to Ulaanbaatar"
- "Ulaanbaatar - The Red Hero City"
- "ULAAN BAATOR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ulaanbaatar
- Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
- Transportation in Ulaanbaatar
- Nightlife in Ulaanbaatar
- Restaurants in Ulaanbaatar
- Shopping in Ulaanbaatar
- Warnings and Dangers in Ulaanbaatar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ulaanbaatar
- 18 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Ulaanbaatar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ulaanbaatar
Photos in UlaanbaatarSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (162)
Latest Ulaanbaatar hotel reviews
- The Continental Hotel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Bayangol Hotel
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Nassan's Guesthouse
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 22, 2013
- Chinggis Khaan Hotel
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hotel Mongolia
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2013
- UB Guesthouse
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Oneway Guesthouse
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2010
- Ulaanbaatar Hotel
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013