"Wetlands of Tonle Sab" Top 5 Page for this destination Phumi Tonle Sab by sachara
Phumi Tonle Sab Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 325 photos
The Tonle Sab lake is the largest lake of South East Asia. Depending of the season the lake can swell from 2500 square KM to more than 13.000 square KM. This unique ecosystem is one of the richest sources of freshwater fish in the world.
Tonle Sap is home to many people who live in floating villages, in houses built on bamboo poles or in houseboats. Everything in this area is floating like the stores, the fuel station, the school.
Most of the people in the Tonle Sab area are fishermen. It's impressive to see their huge nets, especially the so-called 'chhnuk' a pivoting dipnet on a bamboo raft.
The best way to discover Tonle Sab is to take the boat when travelling between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh or Battambang. We took not the speedboat service of about 4 hours to Battambang, but the slower boat, which took us 8 hours. It was an incredible experience. And all the other transport we saw on our way.... by boat of course.
The local people of the Tonle Sab area live on and at the water. It amazed me to see how overcrowded the small and... more travel advice
In the Tonle Sab area we had to cross wetlands with lots of bushes. The canals were sometimes very narrow. It was an... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Phumi Tonle Sab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tonle Sab"
- "Wetlands of Tonle Sab"
- "Imagine This!"
- "Life along Tonle Sap..."
- "Southeast Asia's Largest Lake"
- "Tonle Sap Lake."
- "Tonle Sap Lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phumi Tonle Sab
- Transportation in Phumi Tonle Sab
- Shopping in Phumi Tonle Sab
- Warnings and Dangers in Phumi Tonle Sab
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isola San Giulio Hotels
- New Delhi
- Czech Republic
- Castellón de la Plana
- Camels Hump State Park Hotels
- Panglao Island
- Port Melbourne Hotels
- Lake Minnewanka Hotels
- Sai Kung
- San Jose del Monte Hotels
- Torres del Paine
- Kusamba Hotels
Badges & Stats in Phumi Tonle Sab
- 16 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Phumi Tonle Sab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phumi Tonle Sab
Photos in Phumi Tonle SabSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues