"Sachara and her world" sachara's Profile
The beauty of the desert....
The picture of me in Tin Merzouga (Algeria) is made by Caroline Klaassen.
Tin Merzouga in south-east Algeria near the Libyan border has amazing sanddunes. We stayed here for 2 nights, so I had enough time to climb the dunes. I did not reach the top. After every edge were new and higher tops. It was marvellous to be there for hours with only the blue sky and the fascinating empty landscape around. It gave me the feeling to be in connection with myself and the cosmos.
Read the story of Mohamed Alher
travelled in 4 continents. My favourite is Africa ! It is under my skin since my first visit or maybe even longer. Some VT-ers think I am originally from Africa. I am not and don't ask me why I don't start to live there yet. Meanwhile I visited Africa 38 times and 32 countries.
2004 was the best Africa year ever. I travelled 3 months from west to east, visiting Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Ethiopia, Kenya & Tanzania. And I did my first transsahara trip, coming from Gambia, Senegal and Mali, crossing the Sahara in central Mauritania, Western Sahara & Morocco.
Morocco and Egypt I visit regularly. In 2006 I visited Libya for the second time, in 2007 Madagascar and Mauritius, in 2009 Mali for the 3rd time to visit theTuareg Festival au Desert north of Timbuktu, in 2012 Eritrea and in 2013 Burkina Faso for the second time, also to visit my Tuareg friend in the refugeecamp.
From African astrology:
The traveller (4 sep- 3 oct)
If born under the sign of the traveller, you are endowned with a wanderlust which makes you always want to see what is over the next hill. The traveller has a duality of character, feeling sadness at departure and a certain joy in the anticipation of the arrival at the destination. The traveller must rely on intuition and common sense on the journey in life.
Many of my pages are under construction
Usually I travel more than I can write tips. Of the following links of recent trips I share anyway pictures in the intro and travelogues. Tips are following step by step.
Ukraine with 7 links
Romania with 12 links and 15 Sibiu tips in progress
Turkmenistan with 19 tips
Ashgabat with 19 tips
Iran with 10 links
China: solar eclipse in Xinjiang province, Kashgar, Turpan
Erbil and Iraqi Kurdistan with 13 links to other visited places in Iraqi Kurdistan
Libya: Benghazi with 21 tips
Madagascar with 9 links
Mali with 14 links
Timbuktu with 36 tips
Festival au Desert with 12 tips and 10 videos
Eritrea with 8 links to places visited in 2012
Burkina Faso with 16 links to places visited in 2013, tips in progress
North, Central & South America:
Mexico with 6 links
Honduras: Copan with 38 tips
Argentina with 10 links to places visited in 2011
Urugay: Colonia del Sacramento 2011
Chile:San Pedro de Atacama 2011
Emmen is a modern municipality with industrial and horticultural areas. Emmen is situated in the north east of the Netherlands near the German border. Emmen has 110.000 inhabitants. Within the borders of Emmen is a lot of open and green space. Near the German border is a large nature reserve the Bargerveen (veen = moor).
I live in the centre of the city Emmen in one of the last historical districts. www.oudallee.nl For more information about my home-town, you can visit my Emmen page, the website of the municipality www.emmen.nl.
In spring and summer there are a lot of activities in the citycentre of Emmen. For example the last friday in May is the Jazz & Blues Night, in July is the CestlaVie Festival and the last sunday in August is the Full Colour Festival. This last one is my favourite.
Emmen is known because of its zoo. It's one of the most beautifull zoo's in Europe.The zoo is just behind our backyard. From the first floor of our house we can have a look at the African savannah with giraffes, zebras, rhinos, impalas and wildebeasts. For more information see my travelogue Noorderdierenpark or www.noorderdierenpark.nl
Sunday 1 march 2009 Annabel, the mother of the elephant herd, fell down in the dry ditch around the elephant island. It happened after she was hit by two playing younger elephants. For many hours they tried to rescue her, but without any succes. Back on the island she could not stand on her legs anymore. It turned out she was paralysed by a broken certebra of her neck. It was heartbreaking. Unfortulately it was her time to die.
She lived in the zoo behind my backyard for 40 years. She was the mother of the herd. Pictures in the traveloque are of her birthday in 2006.
In the zoo nextdoor we have big wild cats as neighbours (lions, tigers, panthers and servals). In our own home and garden we have our own ''wild'' cat of a smaller size. The cat is used to the heavy roaring of her big sisters in the zoo.
This is our second cat, which was behaving more like a dog. She walked always together with me, especially outdoors.
At the 4th of august 2007 she died, only 8 years young....
Special about her was that she was always talking during the day. Her bright blue eyes looked straight into my eyes and she layed on my mouse when I was too long at VT.
Since April 2004 we have a huge male cat, called Bushman. In the first year his former family missed him and wanted him back, so he left us for 2 weeks. But they find out, that our home and garden was a better place for him. So he came back and enjoys the garden. In October 2012 Bushman died because of cancer. Till almost the last day he walked around in his garden where we buried him later.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Parish of Portland Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Broad Ripple Hotels
- Pensacola Beach Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 3,899 Reviews
- 10,832 Photos
- 50 Countries
- 115 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
- Commented on jabdulrasool's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dinner in the city"
updated their Profile Page "Sachara and her world"
- Posted in Travel Nairobi Forum "Re: Entrance charges"
- sachara and poojakapoor are now friends.
- updated a Emmen Travelogue "Story of Mohamed Alher ag Almahdi"
- Wrote a Review Huet Square or Piata Huet about Huet Square in Sibiu Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Grolloo
Upcoming MeetingsSee All Meetings
PhotosSee All Photos (10832)
VideosSee All Videos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos