"Welcome to my Home Page! It's a Big World (To Us)" Stargazer1's Profile
in a large galaxy with hundreds of millions of stars in a universe of billions of galaxies. Here's an ESA (MSG-2) image of Earth that I like. Copyright ESA.
Here's another picture from NASA of the Earth from space, pretty much centered on my home (and NASA's home in Houston). Copyright JPL.
I'm a scientist (geophysicist, specifically, not an astrophysicist/astronomer). However, I am an amateur astronomer and write an astronomical newsletter several times a week. I live in Sugar Land, TX (made famous by Goldie Hawn in "The Sugar Land Express"), a suburb (essentially) of Houston, TX.
Sugar Land was named for the now-defunct Imperial Sugar factory in the center of the old town. I work and spend a lot of time in Houston. A lot of my travel is for business, but of course I love to travel and take vacations with my family several times a year.
Let's get this straight. I wouldn't want one of these as a pet. This is me in front of some camels we encountered while duning (4-wheel driving with air let out of tires for traction) outside Dubai. I'm afraid that unlike most VTers, this will be the closest thing to a pet picture I'll ever have.
Since this is a travel site, I guess I should put something about my travels on my homepage. Most of my travels have been for business (except India, parts of Canada outside Calgary, and numerous places in the U.S.), but I try to add some vacation to many of my trips. My previous job was for a software company, and I traveled extensively around the world (two around the world trips, one in each direction). Now, I mostly go to our offices, which include Perth, Stavanger, Aberdeen, Dubai, and Anchorage. I'd like to visit the Calgary and Beijing and KL offices as well. Perhaps Libya and Qatar, probably not the Lagos office, and probably not the Caracas one either. I'd love to see our company get into India -- it would be great to combine business and pleasure/family (and get to fly business class instead of coach).
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 58 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 21 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Commented on Stargazer1's profile page
- updated a Lanzhou Travel Page "Lanzhou, China, near Mongolia"
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to my Home Page! It's a Big World (To Us)"
- Stargazer1 and RobDavis are now friends.
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New UNESCO World Heritage..."
- Wrote a Review IAH to NASA/Space Center on a layover in Houston Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beijing, China's capital. Busy, busy."
PhotosSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Houston Intro, 10 reviews, 3 photos
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Austin Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Llano Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Texas Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Banff National Park Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos