"In the heart of the Ruhr area" Essen by hundertmorgen
Essen Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 783 photos
The Ruhr area (German das Ruhrgebiet or, colloquially, der Ruhrpott) is a metropolitan area in Germany consisting of a number of large industrial cities bordered by the rivers Ruhr (to the south), Rhine (west) and Lippe (north). In the east, it borders the Bergisches Land.
The area includes the cities of (from the west to the east) Duisburg, Oberhausen, Bottrop, Mülheim, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Herne and Dortmund. The cities of the areas have grown into one large complex forming an industrial landscape of unique size. The area is often mistakenly perceived as one city because the borderlines between the individual cities are not drawn on many maps. The area first grew during the Industrial Revolution, mainly basing its economy on mining coal.<br>
Today Essen is the sixth largest city of Germany. Population: 608,700 (1999).
Despite its largeness the city is not as well-known as other cities of comparable size. This is due to the lack of historical tradition. Essen was an insignificant agricultural place until the 19th century, although founded as early as about 850. The mining of coal and ore led to the growth of the city and the entire Ruhr area. Essen is the home of the Krupp family; the family established steel production in Essen in 1811.
<blockquote>SIGHTS IN ESSEN:
Cathedral (Münster): 14th century, enlarged and rebuilt in 1958; not spectacular in appearance, but the interior is famous (many artworks from around 1000 AD, crown of emperor Otto III).
Old Synagogue (Alte Synagoge): Largest synagogue north of the Alps; built in 1913, it was burnt out in the Nazi pogroms of 1938, but the framework survived the fascistic terror; restored after the war.
Meteorit: A subterranean adventure park designed by the Austrian artist Andre Heller, mainly featuring light effects.
Zeche Zollverein: Coal mine built in 1932, closed in 1986. The huge mine shafts are now open for visitors. They are listed in the UNESCO World Heritage.
Lichtburg: This cinema has with 1250 seats the largest (and the most beautiful) cinema hall in Germany, build 1928.
Werden: Once a city of its own, it became a borough of Essen in 1929; there is still a medieval townscape with many pubs and restaurants along the car-free streets.<blockquote>
Very nice atmosphere and various kind of food. They have local food, with typical dishes from the ruhr area and also... more travel advice
Great scene! Over the heads of the public a steam locomotive pulls her circles, in the back silly deer heads stare from... more travel advice
hundertmorgen's Related Pages
Essen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Essen, Cultural Capital 2010"
- "Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex"
- "Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen"
- "Essentially Essen"
- "ESSEN KULINARISCH"
- "Welcome to Essen"
- "Industrial Beauty and green areas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essen
- Hotels in Essen
- Transportation in Essen
- Nightlife in Essen
- Restaurants in Essen
- Warnings and Dangers in Essen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essen
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Essen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essen
- Uploaded a Photo to "CULTURAL HIGHLIGHTS FROM ESSEN"
- Commented on one of BillNJ's Essen travel pages
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: Nice Inn / Bed & Breakfast -..."
- updated a Essen Travelogue "VT meeting - 11. September 2004"
- Wrote a Review Local and international food in Essen Restaurants
Photos in EssenSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Algarve Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamburg Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Haan Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Breda Intro, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Essen hotel reviews
- Welcome Hotel Ruhr Residenz Essen
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hotel Korn
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2012
- Ibis Essen
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Hotel Lindenhof
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Mercure Plaza Essen Hotel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Bredeney
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Mintrops Stadt Hotel Margarethenhohe
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2012