"Fast food not included" Top 5 Page for this destination Anna Maria Island by hundertmorgen
Anna Maria Island Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 75 photos
This 12 km long island is located along the gulf of Mexico north of Sarasota. The three small towns Anna Maria, Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach with their snow-white sand beaches invites you to recover with the aquatic sport, tennis, fish and cycling. Narrow streets wriggle through a tropical green scenery. It’s very pleasant that on the whole island you won’t find a fast food restaurant, but great other locations. People on Anna Maria esteem calmness and sereneness.
The town Anna Maria is located in the north of the island and exists above all of single-family houses with a few business. Holmes Beach has the most inhabitants and could beware a provincial town character in spite of vast residential areas, shopping centers, small enterprises and motels. A provincial town with space for peacocks.
In Bradenton Beach you find more hotels than dwelling houses, because the island is very narrow at this point and the beach is used by two sides (gulf of Mexico and bay of Sarasota).
HISTORY: Anna Maria Island was discovered - like so many other places - in the gulf of Mexico around 1530 by spanish sailors, who hit on Timucuan Indian. The only thing people know about these early inhabitants is that they were very big and persevering combatants. At the beginning of 20th century George Emerson Bean and the Anna Maria Beach Company pursued the economic development of the island. Before 1921 Anna Maria Island could be visited only by boat, because the Cortez bridge wasn’t constructed yet. Thus the boats landed on the Anna Maria City Pier, which was built in the 1910 and lies at the end of the Pine Avenue to the Tampa Bay. In the 50s the Manatee avenue bridge came as the second connecting bridge. In last decades the island has attracted visitors, businessmen and new citizens from all over the world.
Get up close and personal with local sea creatures in Mote Aquarium's "Contact Cove". Meet Molly Mollusk, a 25-foot... more travel advice
This is absolutly the best exhibition of Dalí I have seen yet! YOU MUST SEE IT!!! "I believe that I am the savior of... more travel advice
hundertmorgen's Related Pages
Anna Maria Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fast food not included"
- "Anna Maria Island retreat"
- "beautiful beachs"
- "Anna Maria Island"
- "Beautiful, paceful little island in Florida"
- "A Place to Get Away"
- "Anna Maria Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anna Maria Island
- Hotels in Anna Maria Island
- Transportation in Anna Maria Island
- Nightlife in Anna Maria Island
- Restaurants in Anna Maria Island
- Shopping in Anna Maria Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Anna Maria Island
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Anna Maria Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anna Maria Island
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Algarve Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamburg Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Haan Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Breda Intro, 30 photos, 5 travelogues