"Majorca, a European paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island by hundertmorgen
Majorca Island Travel Guide: 642 reviews and 1,248 photos
Majorca is an island with a long history and impressive culture. In spite of some construction sins and of the tourist overstressing in some regions the island possesses still beauty spots in the abundance. It offers a kind of permanent spring in only 2 flying hours (from most european countries) distance to sun. From middle of May till October and during our winter months the climate is pleasant warm and almost everywhere you can find outstanding water quality with bath-friendly temperatures. Therefore, Majorca is assumed as an ideal holiday destination, if you have chosen the correct vacation spot and a suitable accommodation.
Each region of Majorca has its own particular appeal - the northeast for history, the east coast for beaches and caves, the north and west for spectacular mountains and picture-postcard villages.
And you haven't seen Majorca until you have driven across the fertile plain at the centre of the island, with its almond groves, windmills and old market towns. Try to do a bit of everything - one monastery, one mountain walk, one quiet cove - but don't try to do too much...
The Majorca cuisine, based on pork, fish and vegetables with generous use of garlic and olive oil, is hearty peasant fare steeped in tradition and rooted in local ingredients.
Not long ago every village would celebrate the matanca, the winter slaughter of pigs, with songs and dancing and the making of hams and sausages for the coming year. Sausages come in several varieties - sobrasada (raw minced pork with hot red pepper) and botifarro (cured pork with blood), as well as spicy chorizo from Spain. And no bar would be complete without its jamon serrano, a whole cured ham displayed on an attractive slicing-board.
Roast suckling pig and other specialities beside a pool and children's play area. more travel advice
Cafe life is still the rule; if you want to join in, come on a Sunday morning when the Placa Major is filled with market... more travel advice
hundertmorgen's Related Pages
Majorca Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL ISLAND OF MALLORCA."
- "Majorca, a European paradise"
- "8 million people a year can't be wrong !"
- "Mallorca Island"
- "Mallorca - a great island"
- "Majorcan Meanders"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Majorca Island
- Hotels in Majorca Island
- Transportation in Majorca Island
- Nightlife in Majorca Island
- Restaurants in Majorca Island
- Shopping in Majorca Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Majorca Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Majorca Island
- 45 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Majorca Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Majorca Island
Photos in Majorca IslandSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Algarve Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamburg Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Haan Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Breda Intro, 30 photos, 5 travelogues