"The Frisian lakes" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland by hundertmorgen
Provincie Friesland Travel Guide: 711 reviews and 2,194 photos
The ice skate runners show it every year (if the water freezes in winter deeply enough), how pure infinitely webbed is Friesland from rivers, canals and seas. With the legendary eleven towns tour “Frisians on ice” they put back a marathon of 200 kilometers. If it did not go humanly possible, the distance could be three times. Everything embedded in this almost infinitely flat scenery.
Should the full charm develop for yachtsmen, it must be summer, the reed belts wave in the wind, the black-colored must stand on her full pastures. Then it seems as if a few white sails went in the distance directly by green meadows. Then this is Friesland to which the label “aquatic sport paradise” sticks on it like a burdock. And this, although the sober-minded Frisians do not incline to overstatements. Probably, they hold their flat land and their own language in honour and they love the water above all.
What puts out the charm of every sailing trip through Friesland? Well, here you can always choose between calmness and turbulences. You can anchor in a lonesome pool to enjoy silence and nature or you stay in an ultramodern guest's harbour and visit a disco at night.
Who does want, this Friesland, not the Ijsselmeer harbours, nor the Watteninseln, should have the right boat. To 1.20 meters of draft nearly everything goes. From 1.40 meters it becomes difficult. Desperately you can barely get stuck in the alluvial mud. You also shouldn’t shrink back for the serval ingots which have formed in the crossing of canals in seas, but rather take an warm-up.
Therefore, for the first sailing trip you should look for free and deeper water. Our first starting point should be Heeg. Here there is a brand-new harbour directly by the Heeger sea, in addition seven further Marinas. And there is “De Eendracht” near the village with its own harbour bar and good infrastructure. Generally you will find in Heeg all kind of service around the boat. And with "Jonas in de Walvis" the village has begun to offer - still carefully - high ambience in the rather substantial friesian kitchen scenery.
The entry to the free water is Heegs rushing success. The Heeger sea in front, to the southwest passing over in the Fluessen and from there you can sail undisturebed to the Oorden, until the first bridge is reached in Koudum. There near the aquatic sport center "De Kuilaart" on the aquatic terrace you can find a little place for yourself and eat a few croquettes or french fries special completely after Dutch lunch manner. Who still rasps in his bridge tactics, gets the nicest observation lessons for free: the bridge of Galamadammen is turned untiringly, because here the waterway is a part of the "highway" from and to Stavoren into the IJsselmeer.
However, we turn the bow back in the direction of Fluessen and Heeger sea where you quietly can leave the fairway for a few blows and where Elahuizen with its nice "Kroegje" is worth for an excursion.
Above all, it is the narrow and sociable boat activity. One greets each other on water of Friesland. And believe me, therefore you have a lot to do on Groote Gaastmeer and Zandmeer.
Who searches for night loneliness and absolute calmness dream-anchor bays, you will find it here. There is only one thing you should never make on such spaces, like everywhere in Friesland: be carefully, don’t go with the bow of your boat into the reed. The precious reed belts recover only slowly.
Another dream-anchor bay is completely on on other side of the Heeger sea (direction Sneek) - the Goingarijp. With a thick ship you should not get lost there, but who dares by the narrow, mostly open sluice, you find yourself suddenly in the deepest friesian idyl and even bump into a place of interest: one of the rare belfry, with which one managed one day, if the money was not enough for a steeple. This belfry gave his name to the restaurant "De Klokkestoel", which I can recommend not only because of its seaview.
Especially when the weather is fine, it is great to go to Schiermonnikoog for a day trip. Here you can relax, biking,... more travel advice
hundertmorgen's Related Pages
Provincie Friesland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fryslân – Friesland – Frisia"
- "The Netherlands - STAVOREN - Friesland"
- "The Frisian lakes"
- "11 Cities Cycling Tour"
- "Friesland - Scotland of the Netherlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Friesland
- Hotels in Provincie Friesland
- Transportation in Provincie Friesland
- Nightlife in Provincie Friesland
- Restaurants in Provincie Friesland
- Shopping in Provincie Friesland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Friesland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Friesland
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Provincie Friesland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Friesland
- updated a Provincie Friesland Travel Page "The Frisian lakes"
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: Nice Inn / Bed & Breakfast -..."
- Wrote a Review Watt walking tours in Provincie Friesland Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Watt walking tours"
- Commented on one of Luchonda's Provincie Friesland travel pages
Photos in Provincie FrieslandSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Algarve Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamburg Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Haan Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Breda Intro, 30 photos, 5 travelogues