Berlin Off The Beaten Path Tips by hundertmorgen
Berlin Off The Beaten Path: 470 reviews and 700 photos
Some time when you walk through the streets of Berlin you still found some parts of the wall... Here this part is located very close to the restaurant "Freischwimmer" at the Flutgraben (Kreuzberg / Friedrischshain)
The exhibit » blind trust - hidden at the Hackesche Höfe « tells the history of the blind person's workshop Otto Weidt. Here worked during the Nazi era primarily blind and deaf Jews. In the guidance the uncompromising application is picked out as a central theme by Otto Weidt for his Jewish workers. He offered to the family horn in a Hinterraum of the workshop a hiding place. The rooms are received to a great extent in the original and offer to visitors by the authenticity of this place special possibilities to get to know the history of the blind person's workshop.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 030 259 93 305
The Oberbaumbrücke was constructed over the River Spree in 1724 as a wooden bridge. For centuries it was by far the longest bridge in Berlin. In 1894 it was renewed as a solid construction with seven vaults and a studded viaduct to accommodate the first elevated railway in Berlin. Because of its location in the border area between West and East Berlin, the bridge which was blown up during World War II could not be reinstated until after reunification as a link between the districts of Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain.
More extensive refurbishment of its historical appearance involved upgrading the road surface by using reinforced and pre-stressed concrete. The elevated railway was given a completely new load bearing construction. The middle opening was closed as a counter point to the form with a modern steel frame whereas in the side areas preflex supports on steel frames were incorporated into the viaduct. After specification of the definitive design, construction work could begin in 1992. In order to accelerate work, a temporary pedestrian bridge was erected downstream.
In time for the fifth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall the roadway and the lower side walkway were reopened on 9 November 1994. With the integration of the strutted frame in April 1995, the last gap was closed in the elevated railway connection to the station Warschauer Straße to the north of Oberbaumbrücke. This meant that the route extension could be used as planned in October 1995.
A huge sculpture at the "Treptowers" at the Spree.
This substantial sculpture, created by the renowned American artist Jonathan Borofsky thirty meters high, weigthing some forty-five tons, yet transparent and light, has been on display in Berlin since may 1999. The three aluminium figures, which unite to form a whole, are meant by the artist to remind the viewer "that both man and molecules exit in a world of probability and that finding wholness and unity within this world remains the aim of any create and spiritual tradition". Treptow's special location, with the river spree at hand and the metropolis Berlin just beyond was predestined for this purpose.
The three aluminum men symbolize the crossing of three town districts: Kreuzberg, Treptow and Friedrichshain whose borders meet here. From here one can also see very nicely the towers of the "Oberbaumbrücke".
The "Freischwimmer" is a former boat rental company and boat repair-workshop, builds approx. 1932. During the wall time allotment gardens were resident here.
The "Freischwimmer" is meanwhile since 1998 directly on the shore of the flood ditch exactly on the former border area between Treptow and Kreuzberg opposite site of the "Club der Visionäre".
The access to the water restaurant is directly beside the oldest Berlin gas station (Aral).
Bus 265, N 65 | U-Bhf. Schlesisches Tor | S-Bhf. Treptower Park
Other Contact: Vor dem Schlesischen Tor 2a, 10
Phone: + 49 30 – 61 07 43 09
Treptow Crematorium has become an object of study for enthusiastic friends and students of contemporary architecture from all over the world.
We went there one day on our shorttrip and I must say it really worths a visit although it takes some time to go there by train and bus.
But you can combine it with a visit at Treptower Park, the sculpture "Molecule Man" at the river Spree and a coffee stop at the Flutgraben (Restaurant "Freischwimmer" and the "Club der Visionäre").
Bus, Tube, Tram: S 6, S 8, S 9, S 10, S 45, S 46 Baumschulenweg; Bus 166
Hours of opening: Mon-Fri 9.00-15.00
Other Contact: Kiefholzstr. 221, 12437 Berlin
Phone: +49 030 - 639581-0
More Reviews (18)
hundertmorgen's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- "Berlin .... und das ist gut so!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ban Nai Yang Hotels
- Agoo Hotels
- Zamboanga Hotels
- Prestwick Hotels
- Nanjing Off The Beaten Path
- Hastings Off The Beaten Path
- Tacloban City Off The Beaten Path
- Sonneveld house
- Sonoma Off The Beaten Path
- Wroclaw Off The Beaten Path
- Iffley Road
- New Smyrna Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Swamp Tours
- Maratea Off The Beaten Path
- Greenland Off The Beaten Path
- Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 24 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
Photos in BerlinSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Algarve Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Berlin Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hamburg Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Haan Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Breda Intro, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Berlin hotel reviews
- Art'Otel Berlin-Mitte, By Park Plaza
- 230 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Heart Of Gold Hostel Berlin
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- 240 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel-Pension Uhland am Kurfuerstendamm
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 21, 2013
- Hotel Bogota Berlin
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Pension Potsdamer Platz
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2008
- Hotel Tiergarten Berlin
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Pension Michael
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2012
- Hotel Graf Puckler Berlin
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 21, 2013
- Ramada Plaza Berlin
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2012
- Dorint Adlershof Berlin 3
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Agon Hotel Opera Berlin
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- The Mandala Hotel
- 301 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Apartment Hotel Dahlem
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Reichstag- 180 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Checkpoint Charlie- 159 Reviews, 261 Photos
- History - World War II- 78 Reviews, 201 Photos
- Alexanderplatz- 87 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Potsdamer Platz- 95 Reviews, 196 Photos
- Berlin Wall- 135 Reviews, 260 Photos
- Fernsehturm - TV Tower- 86 Reviews, 158 Photos
- Brandenburger Tor- 178 Reviews, 296 Photos
- Tiergarten - Zoo- 77 Reviews, 160 Photos
- Gendarmenmarkt- 84 Reviews, 170 Photos
See All Berlin Things to Do