"Backpackin Mac on Safari with Mari" Backpackin_Mac's Profile
Mari and I met in Brisbane, Australia from where we then moved to her native Japan and lived in a small town in western Japan for three years. We packed our bags and headed on the road for the better part of a year before heading to Maris hometown of Kyoto for 1 1/2 years. We moved back to Brisbane in September of 2003.
During our time together I have talked Mari into travelling to the places you see on our travel map. We have had many good (and bad) experiences which you can read about in our travelogues.
Although we travel quite rough I am very lucky to have someone like Mari who never complains no matter what crazy trip I talk her into.
Whenever we get the chance our preferred style of travelling is to start in one place and then using local transport make our way through different cultures and end in a completely different environment from when we started.
In this way we have travelled from London to Paris, Amsterdam, through Eastern Europe to Istanbul. From Istanbul through Syria and Lebanon, Jordan until we reached Cairo.
Another fun trip we were able to do when my three year contract in Japan ended we caught a ferry from Osaka to Shanghai and travelled from there to Chendu and on to Lhasa. From Lhasa we travelled via Everest Base Camp to Kathmandu. From there to Chitwan, Pokhara and then to the over stimulation of India with "rests" in Varanasi, Calcutta and Puri among others.
Our most recent trip was from Tashkent, Uzbekistan to Khujand and Istaravshan in Tajikistan Then onto the Fergana valley, Osh and the mountains around Jalalabad in Kyrgyzstan and then back to Tashkent before travelling onwards to the silk road cities of Bukhara and Samarqand (with side trips here and there) before heading back to Tashkent where the journey ended with a flight back to Japan. Unfortunately we did all this in the middle of summer ('03) in daily temperatures reaching 45 degrees Celsius. We didn't do this by choice but when my contract in Kyoto finished it was our only chance before we settled back in Brisbane. We recommend the trip but not the season. Very hot but many chances to eat tasty watermelons.
For our next trip we are planning to fly to Istanbul. From there catch a ferry to Odessa, Ukraine. From Odessa travel to Moldova via Transdniester. From there to Bucharest via Brasov. Bucharest to Istanbul where we will fly back to Brisbane. As we have spent a bit of time in Bucharest and Istanbul this trip will concentrate on Moldova and northern Romania.
Due to Mari and I finally biting the bullet and having found "careers" for the first time in the last couple of months we will only have four weeks for our next trip. Not as long as we would liked but it is all we can manage. Our days of long term travelling are over....maybe.
This site is a work in progress so we hope you will all come and check it out from time to time.
Mari and I will be putting up many travel tips and cheap accommodation info which may be helpful for some people. Also we are uploading our travelogues which contain the highs and lows of our journeys.
We hope you enjoy reading our pages and appreciate all comments.
Macca and Mari
"If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto Che Guevarra
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 85 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 20 Countries
- 24 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- updated a Nepal Travel Page "Above the clouds"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Above the clouds"
- Wrote a Review Dont lock your keys in the room (no spare) in Nepal Favorites
updated their Profile Page "Backpackin Mac on Safari with Mari"
- Commented on one of IIGUANA's Santiago travel pages
- Posted in Travel Odessa Forum "Cheapest (and safe) accomodation"
Top 10 Pages
- Tibet Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Khujand Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Japan Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- North Korea Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Tashkent Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Osh Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Marghilon Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Nepal Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos