"Masaya" Departamento de Masaya by paradisedreamer
Departamento de Masaya Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 301 photos
We took a tour from Granada to see Masaya Volcano and to visit the market.
During the pre-Columbian age, Masaya Volcano was on object of veneration by the indigenous people. They believed the eruptions were signs of anger from the Gods and to appease them they offered sacrifices, which often included small children and maidens. We did warn the girls that they be on their best behaviour! They then planted a cross, "La Cruz de Bobadilla (named after Father Francisco Bobadilla). It was placed on the crater lip in the 16th century in order to exorcise the Devil. The cross is still there but you can’t climb up to it because of landslides.
We booked a tour through Tierra tours. We found them to be well organised, with very informative guides. Their prices... more travel advice
I have an unhealthy obsession with clay pots so I really should not have gone. I saw at least 5 at the market that I... more travel advice
paradisedreamer's Related Pages
Departamento de Masaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Masaya city and it´s Volcano."
- "Volcán Masaya"
- "Valle De La Laguna (in Masaya)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Departamento de Masaya
- Hotels in Departamento de Masaya
- Transportation in Departamento de Masaya
- Restaurants in Departamento de Masaya
- Shopping in Departamento de Masaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Departamento de Masaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Departamento de Masaya
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Departamento de Masaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Departamento de Masaya
Photos in Departamento de MasayaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 92 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of the Western Cape Intro, 48 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 46 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 36 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 31 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Montagu Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue