"The Perhentians" Pulau Perhentian Besar by paradisedreamer

Pulau Perhentian Besar Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 530 photos

We flew into Kota Bharu from KL. In order to get to the Perhentian islands, you can take a taxi from the airport which is about the same price as the bus but more convenient. The journey will take about 2 hours from Kota Bharu to Kota Besut.

Perhentian actually has 2 occupied islands, the big one (Perhentian Besar) and the small one (Perhentian Kecil). We did not know what Besar and Kecil meant so we argued for about half an hour with the boatman to take us to Besar island and he kept saying ‘yes the big one’ and we replied ‘no, Besar island’ answered with ‘big Island?’ and so it went on until we said ‘whatever, take us wherever you want’. It was only when we went to Mcdonalds (terrible I know) and saw they had Besar or Kecil fries – did we feel like fools or what?

Unfortunately we went at the wrong time of year and it rained the whole time we were there. I didn’t mind since I had a book to read and was quite happy to kick back but my husband was bored stiff never mind the fact that the Perhentians are in one of Malaysia’s most strongly Muslim states, little or no alcohol available anywhere on the islands. We left after a few days and moved on to Penang which had sunshine galore.

• Last visit to Pulau Perhentian Besar: Feb 1999
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2003

Comments

paradisedreamer

“Life is what happens while you are planning for the future. Live for today!”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Have you been to Pulau Perhentian Besar?

Latest Activity in Pulau Perhentian Besar