"Lombok" Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok by paradisedreamer

Lombok Travel Guide: 422 reviews and 1,132 photos

Just East of Bali is the small island of Lombok. The culture of the western part of the island is still heavily influenced by Bali. The Eastern part is the home of the native islanders, the Sasaks. The Sasaks culture, mostly Muslim, represents the majority of the inhabitants of the island.

Gunung Rinjani is an active volcano on the island and the second highest mountain in Indonesia. The name Rinjani comes from an old Javanese word for "All Great", and according to Sasak legend, the volcano serves as a primary home of princess Anjani, the daughter of the islanders' Supreme God.
When the rain runs down from Gunung Rinjani it produces one of the Indonesia most fertile valleys, and the islanders grow acres of rice, soy beans, coffee, cinnamon, vanilla and many others spices.

The Gilis are three tiny islands off the Northern coast, they are magnificent with white sand beaches
We had not planned on going to Lombok but we met a lovely dutch couple in Bali and they invited us along so we went. I am so glad that we did. Lombok as everyone says (and now I will too) is like Bali must have been 20 years ago. The first thing you notice are the number of donkey carts around.

We went across the tiny island, Gili Trewangan for a few nights and we then stayed in Sengiggi. I heard that there was trouble in Sengiggi and some of it was burn’t down, can anyone confirm this?

There are great tours around the island and the scenery is amazing, emerald green rice paddies, palm trees and volcanoes. The highlight for me was the warm welcome you get from all the children in the villages as you pass though.
The great thing was the hotel prices, because there were so few tourists around (scared off by the troubles in Jakarta and East Timor) you could get a room in a top class resort for $20, porter, room service etc etc. As far as I can remember it was called Puri Bunga. It was full of backpackers, quite funny seeing porters carry backpacks to the rooms!! I enjoyed the drinks by the pool!!

• Last visit to Lombok: Jan 1999
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2003

paradisedreamer

“Life is what happens while you are planning for the future. Live for today!”

Badges & Stats in Lombok