"Lombok" Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok by paradisedreamer
Lombok Travel Guide: 408 reviews and 1,069 photos
Just East of Bali is the small island of Lombok. The culture of the western part of the island is still heavily influenced by Bali. The Eastern part is the home of the native islanders, the Sasaks. The Sasaks culture, mostly Muslim, represents the majority of the inhabitants of the island.
Gunung Rinjani is an active volcano on the island and the second highest mountain in Indonesia. The name Rinjani comes from an old Javanese word for "All Great", and according to Sasak legend, the volcano serves as a primary home of princess Anjani, the daughter of the islanders' Supreme God.
When the rain runs down from Gunung Rinjani it produces one of the Indonesia most fertile valleys, and the islanders grow acres of rice, soy beans, coffee, cinnamon, vanilla and many others spices.
The Gilis are three tiny islands off the Northern coast, they are magnificent with white sand beaches
We had not planned on going to Lombok but we met a lovely dutch couple in Bali and they invited us along so we went. I am so glad that we did. Lombok as everyone says (and now I will too) is like Bali must have been 20 years ago. The first thing you notice are the number of donkey carts around.
We went across the tiny island, Gili Trewangan for a few nights and we then stayed in Sengiggi. I heard that there was trouble in Sengiggi and some of it was burn’t down, can anyone confirm this?
There are great tours around the island and the scenery is amazing, emerald green rice paddies, palm trees and volcanoes. The highlight for me was the warm welcome you get from all the children in the villages as you pass though.
The great thing was the hotel prices, because there were so few tourists around (scared off by the troubles in Jakarta and East Timor) you could get a room in a top class resort for $20, porter, room service etc etc. As far as I can remember it was called Puri Bunga. It was full of backpackers, quite funny seeing porters carry backpacks to the rooms!! I enjoyed the drinks by the pool!!
This is a typical Sasak village where you can go into the houses and see how people lived and still do. Unfortunately... more travel advice
At Baun Pusuk you can see a lot of monkeys but be aware they are wild and can get quite agressive. more travel advice
paradisedreamer's Related Pages
Lombok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The little sister of Bali ?"
- "The Gili Islands - Lombok"
- "IMPREXXION: LOMBOK"
- "From Bali, through Lombok to Gili La La Land"
- "Paradise has found"
- "Step into Lombok, island in the sun."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lombok
- Hotels in Lombok
- Transportation in Lombok
- Nightlife in Lombok
- Restaurants in Lombok
- Shopping in Lombok
- Warnings and Dangers in Lombok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lombok
- 24 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Lombok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lombok
Photos in LombokSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 92 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of the Western Cape Intro, 48 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 46 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 36 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 38 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 31 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 30 reviews, 32 photos
- Montagu Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lombok Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue