"Kigali - in the Land of a 1000 Hills" Kigali by posejc

Kigali Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos

Kigali - in the Land of a 1000 Hills

First I was in Mogadishu with KBR - then they had to transfer all of the equipments that was there to Kigali - so I packed all of our computers - most ran internally on our own network which was run by two 5000K Generators - and we ran everything on 110W and not 220W like the rest of Africa!..I never anticipated that they would unpack them and then proceed to fire them up - without resetting the switch to change the power settings - and off course - you can get the results - they had fried all of our computers - so much for making sure they where all packed for the long journey!. So now what!.. well had to order all new systems from Houston, TX and make sure that they all had the switch to 220V installed and set before powering up!.. Made life more interesting I guess!.. Live and Learn!.

Life in Kigali - Rwanda

Life in Kigali was a whole lot better than in Mogadishu!.. for one - we got to stay in hotels (like the Milles Collines) - and ate decent breakfast - not that the Mog didn't have some good meals - they did - they had hired a local Brit Chef and used local labors and Shri Lankans and India Mess personnel - the food there was good - but nothing like getting a good Hotel type meal for breakfast with some real coffee!.. This is one day when I met - Aideed's Son - Mohammed - while having breakfast - he was with an entougare of military paraphanelia and it was interesting to meet a French Officer who was also with him - beside the Marines and State Department people along with a detachment of Marines!.. I am certain that the ' management' had a good reason for having him there!.. I sure hope we can get him in power and stop all of the 200 or so clan's war for the last several eons.

A Day in Kigali

Besides the regular work to be done - transferring the properties to the contingents of Indian, Pakis, Ghanaians, and others who where there - not to forget the Canadians who basically took over the place!..and the Australians who had a great Hospital in Downtown Kigali - all of the equipment transferred from Mogadishu - if it wasn't sent to Brindisi, Italy for storage, or back to Houston, was to be signed over to the new contingents who where to do their mission in UNAMIR (United Nations Mission In Rwanda) - as compared to UNISOM (United Nations Mission in Somalia) - from pen's and pencils, paper, computer parts, radios, tanks, fuel, weapons, medical equipment, beds, everything to support the missions! - this was a continual transfer of new and used properties to support the mission!.. So this is a day in the Land of a 1000 Hills - not much time fo visit and site seeing!.

• Pros:I Loved Kigali - except for the pack of dogs!
  • Cons:Kigali life was less intense than Mogadishu!
  • In a nutshell:Overall - Kigali has changed and it is now a favorite tourist trap!
  • Last visit to Kigali: Jan 1995
  • Intro Written Dec 11, 2010

Comments

Kigali Travel Guide

posejc

“Its a small world after all!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.