"Maasai Ostrich Resort" Athi River by ocicat

Athi River Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 17 photos

Big Bird farm

On the way back to Nairobi from Amboseli, we stayed a night at the "Maasai Ostrich Resort and Farm". It was a wonderful stay. It was mid-week and we had the place to ourselves, just what we needed at the end of our time in Kenya. Our room was "The Royal Suite" and was so huge we just had to laugh. The bathroom was 17X19 feet - you could have held a dance in there. The suite was 22X19 feet and between the 2 rooms was a 10 foot hallway lined with closets! French doors opened onto a private porch, looking out on the pool and on across the yard to some of the ostrich pens.

The resort offers 5 rooms in the main building, and 10 tented cabins.

Activities offered were ostrich riding and ostrich carts. Unfortunately, to do the cart ride you have to let them know 4 days in advance so they can work with the bird. Our tour opperator did not do this, so I did not get my cart ride. But my husband did the ostrich riding! What a hoot! He is at the top limit of what the bird can carry and I think I saw the poor thing's knees buckle a couple times!

The farm is the supplier of the ostrich meat served at The Carnivore and The Safari Club. You can take a tour of the farm, where you will see ostrich from a week old up to full adults. It was very interesting to see the changes, they grow very quickly.

• Last visit to Athi River: Oct 2006
  • Intro Written Nov 11, 2006

Comments

ocicat

“A person is not old until regrets replace dreams.”

Badges & Stats in Athi River

Have you been to Athi River?