"The city that never sleeps" New York City by PetraG
New York City Travel Guide: 15,726 reviews and 31,518 photos
New York's Central Park features 843 acres filled with classic architecture, gorgeous statuary and up to date sports, educational and performance facilities. Besides all of this there is the world famous Central Park Zoo and Wildlife Center and the Children's Zoo. The park also boasts two full service restaurants (including the world famous Tavern on the Green and the scenic Boathouse Restaurant on the Lake). And all of this doesn't even come close to the natural splendor of the landscape.
Manhattan is the heart of New York and over 1.5 million people live on this island which is approximately 20 kilometers (13.5 miles) long and 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) wide.
It is very easy to find your way in the more central parts of Manhattan because the city is laid out into a very clear grid pattern with perfectly straight streets. The streets are in numerical order starting from the south and going north and from east to west. Fifth Avenue splits the island into eastern and western halves. An address in the east side can therefore be "12 East 31st Street" which means that you should head to number 12 on 31st Street in the east side of Manhattan.
The ferry from Manhattan to Ellis Island and Liberty Island where the Statue of Liberty stands costs $10.00. There are warnings against pick-pockets on the ferry and by the statue so hold on to your wallet.
There are even other ways to experience the Statue of Liberty. There are ferry tours that take you to nearby islands giving fine photo-opportunities, helicopter tours that fly around the island in addition to the cheapest alternative of using the Staten Island ferry.
- Pros:An amazing, multicultural city full of surprises
- Cons:very loud and crowded, people are always hectic
- In a nutshell:If you see it once, you'll be fascinated by it!
The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower (also Met Life Tower) at One Madison Avenue, New York City was the world's... more travel advice
Macy's is the name of a chain of American department stores including a flagship store in New York City which has long... more travel advice
Written Mar 8, 2006
New York Yankees Monument Park
Written Mar 8, 2006
Central Park New York
PetraG's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "I loved it - and I don't even like apples!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 39 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (111)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 39 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 27 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sankt Pölten Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cooperstown Intro, 9 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue