"Klagenfurt" Klagenfurt by PetraG
Klagenfurt Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 464 photos
Klagenfurt, (Slovenian Celovec) is the capital of the federal state of Carinthia, in Austria, on the Glan river.
First settled in the 12th century, it currently has a population of approximately 90,000. Around 10% (1.700) of Carinthian Slovenes reside in Klagenfurt.
It is a popular vacation spot with mountains to both the south and north, numerous parks and a series of 23 castles on its outskirts. In summertime the city is home to the Altstadtzauber (The Magic of the Old City) festival, the Ironman Contest and the Ingeborg Bachmann Preis, a prize for German literature.
The Old City with its central "Alter Platz" (Old Square) is also worth seeing. Notable landmarks include the Wörthersee, the warmest European Alpine lake, the Lindwurm Brunnen (a lindworm fountain), and nearby Hochosterwitz Castle, an impressively fortified castle on a high hill that can only be reached by an ascending spiral path which is fortified with a series of gates.
Also located here are the University of Klagenfurt and Klagenfurt Airport. Among other Austrian educational institutions, there is also the Slovenian non-classical Gymnasium.
Famous residents include Josef Stefan, Robert Musil and Ingeborg Bachmann.
The home of the “Lindwurm” (statue of a dragon) is a wonderful symbiosis between modernity and traditions. One of the most beautiful old towns in Austria (three-times distinguished with the Europa Nostra Award), it has been renovated with a great deal of intuition and attention to detail, and over 50 arcaded courtyards have been made available to the public.
There are many modern boutiques, “in” places to go and traditional outdoor café areas in the historic passages and courtyards of the city. The townscape is complemented by modern architecture, which emphasises its development into a pulsating centre.
Klagenfurt is also a safe town with a high leisure appeal set in healthy, green surroundings.
Politicians, the town administration and the residents of Klagenfurt have all turned the town into a community especially worth living in.
- Pros:Beautiful architechture, lots of shopping plus history!!
- Cons:Very crowded in summer!!
- In a nutshell:Offers everything you desire and more!!!
Everything you desire - no matter what the weather is like more travel advice
What about a winter holiday? Enjoy skiing and snowboarding right in the heart of the city – you can even go floodlight... more travel advice
PetraG's Related Pages
Klagenfurt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My short trip"
- "Klagenfurt in winter"
- "A CITY AND ITS DRAGON!"
- "Lake Worthersee, Paradise on Earth"
- "Go there before everyone knows about it...."
- "Capital of Carinthia"
- "sightseeing, walking, swimming and sunbading."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Klagenfurt
- Hotels in Klagenfurt
- Transportation in Klagenfurt
- Nightlife in Klagenfurt
- Restaurants in Klagenfurt
- Shopping in Klagenfurt
- Warnings and Dangers in Klagenfurt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Klagenfurt
- 11 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Klagenfurt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Klagenfurt
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 39 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 27 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sankt Pölten Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cooperstown Intro, 9 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Klagenfurt hotel reviews
- Seehotel Hafnersee
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2012
- Liebetegger Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2012
- JGH Klagenfurt
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Lindner Seepark Hotel - Congress & Spa
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Geyer Hotel Klagenfurt
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 11, 2013
- Pension Zlami
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Arcotel Moser Verdino
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013