"Sankt Poelten - my lovely hometown" Sankt Pölten by PetraG
Sankt Pölten Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 130 photos
St. Poelten is a town in eastern Austria, about 60km west of Vienna. It's the capital of Lower Austria, the biggest of the 9 parts of Austria.
St. Poelten is the odlest city of Austria and the second oldest of Europe (at least they say so). The romans founded Aelium Caetium as their first settlement in Austria. Around 791 the two lords Adalbert & Ottokar founded here a monastary called St. Hyppolyt. In 1159 it became a "town" and was called St. Poelten.
About 50.000 inhabitants live here in many different districts. It's still the biggest town of Lower Austria.
The City Centre of Sankt Poelten is full of beautiful baroq architecture, shops, bars and restaurants.
It's nice to walk through it on a sunny day and relax in one of the "Schanigaerten" (open air area of a restaurant).
The main place (Rathausplatz) offers a lot of events and activities in summer and winter. The most popular one is the annual "Art and Culture Festival" which lasts from the end of July till the beginning of September.
There are a lot of "green places" in my town. Lovely little parcs (for example the "Stadtpark") or big forest areas (e.g. the "Kaiserwald").
Through the town goes the river Traisen which offers a lot of relaxing and sports possibilities. The ways along the river are very popular for joggers, bikers and skaters. The little parks are nice, quiet places to relax watch people go by...
- Pros:Quiet and pieceful little town
- Cons:absolutely boring on Sundays
- In a nutshell:perfect place to live in
The Ratzersdorfer See ("See" means lake) is a small, but lovely little lake in the north of the city. We call it our... more travel advice
This street leads from the city center to the modern Landhaus district. Along it you can find some shops and restaurans. more travel advice
PetraG's Related Pages
Sankt Pölten Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Sankt Pölten
- Hotels in Sankt Pölten
- Transportation in Sankt Pölten
- Restaurants in Sankt Pölten
- Shopping in Sankt Pölten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sankt Pölten
- 40 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Sankt Pölten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sankt Pölten
Photos in Sankt PöltenSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 39 reviews, 111 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 27 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sankt Pölten Intro, 40 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cooperstown Intro, 9 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue