"Schwarzwald - Forêt Noire - Black Forest" Top 5 Page for this destination Black Forest by Loeffle
Black Forest Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 248 photos
Black Forest - Forêt Noire - Schwarzwald or as Romans called it "Silva nigra" respectfully was for a long time a mountainous area covered with deep, dark forests (name!), robbers and thieves and wild animals. Today it might be hard to imagine these things, but still up to 90 % (in some regions) of Black Forest are covered by trees. Those parts which are tree-less were cleared by humans after the 10th century, when regions better suited for settlement became overcrowded (like the Rhine Valley, the Baar or the Gäu regions in the North).
Black Forest is located in SW Germany in the RegioTriRhena close to NW Switzerland and Alsace. The mountain range is about 170 km N to S, and between 30 and 50 km E to W.
Black Forest started to "rise" about 70 million years ago together with its sister mountain range the Vosges mountains West of the Rhine Valley. The original layers from Trias were almost completely eroded (but they can be seen again East of Black Forest on the Baar).
The main rocks consisting of Granite and Gneiss are still very well visible, especially in the higher Southern Black Forest.
Todays Black Forest landcape was formed by rivers and glaciers. During the iceages the whole Southern Black Forest was covered by might glaciers. On the picture to the right you can see a relict of the Feldberg Glacies (Titisee). Other Glacier valleys are Zastlertal and Upper Wiesental (worth visiting if you are into geology).
Black Forest is one of the most popular tourist region in Germany, but there are very few places (Titisee, Mummelsee, Baden-Baden) that are overcrowded. Often you can find very nice and quiet places only a few km's away. Schluchsee is for example much nicer than Titisee, but it has no name.
Black Forest is a paradise for hiking. If you like to walk on marked paths. Don't expect "Northern wilderness" where you navigate with compass and map. It's actually forbidden to leave the paths to protect nature. Whole Black Forest is a kind of national park.
If you are really into hiking I recommend one of the marked paths of Schwarzwaldverein
especially the the "Querweg", connecting Freiburg with Konstanz (177,5 km, 7 to 10 days)
Primarily you will visit Black Forest because of its nature. But there are also other places of interest: old medival towns (like L?ffingen on the right), small villages, traditional Black Forest farms, old silver or iron mines, museums showing the past or specialties (cukkoo clocks or ski) and much more.
- Pros:landscape, hiking, skiing, great cuisine, good infrastructure, intact nature
- Cons:some places are too crowded (Titisee e.g.) and lost much due to that
- In a nutshell:One of the nicest areas in Germany
Naja, its kind of "trademark" of the Black Forest ... But most Black Forestians hardly ever make this cake. Anyway for... more travel advice
Either you hate or like Titisee - go there and you will see why ;) Of course its a lovely location, but much of the... more travel advice
Loeffle's Related Pages
Black Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Black Forest"
- "Schwarzwald - Forêt Noire - Black Forest"
- "Schwarzwald - in the south-west of Germany"
- "The Black Forest Region"
- "Black Forest, Home of Cuckoo Clocks"
- "Mountains and food"
- "Check out the cuckoo clocks - and the scenery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Black Forest
- Hotels in Black Forest
- Transportation in Black Forest
- Restaurants in Black Forest
- Shopping in Black Forest
- Warnings and Dangers in Black Forest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Black Forest
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Black Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Black Forest
- Posted in Travel Freiburg im Breisgau Forum "RE: Please advise- Trip to Freiberg"
- Wrote a Review Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte in Black Forest Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte"
- Commented on one of freya_heaven's Black Forest travel pages
- updated a Black Forest Travel Page "Schwarzwald - Forêt Noire - Black Forest"
Photos in Black ForestSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Black Forest Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Löffingen Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tromsø Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Gåsvær Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Strasbourg 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kilpisjärvi Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Sola Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 1 review, 2 photos