"TEHRAN ,THE CITY OF LIFE" Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran by vahiddavoodi
Tehran Travel Guide: 516 reviews and 1,662 photos
Covering an area of 1500 sq. kms, Tehran is situated in the north-central part of Iran, on the slope of the Alborz Mountain. As the national capital it is the most populated city in Iran and the center of cultural, economical, political and social activities. It is about 1200 meters above sea level and enjoys a mild climate. Although the word Tehran can be found even in some books dating back to the 10th century, it was but a village containing numerous gardens in the distant past. Its importance began to increase in the Safavid period (1501-1736). Shah Tehmasp, the king of Iran from 1524 to 1576, was fascinated by the climate of Tehran, as a result of which many buildings including caravansaries were founded. He also built many towers around the city. In the reign of agha Mohammad Khan, the founder of the Qajar dynasty (1776-1925), when Tehran was chosen as the capital of Iran, it enjoyed a boom. The building founded by Naser od-Din, shah of Iran (1848-1896) gave it a high position among the other cities. A ditch was dug around the city to repel attacks on it, twelve gates were built as the approaches to the city, and a large square, now called Tupkhaneh and the buildings around were founded. After the Qajar period, two architectural trends developed: an imitation of Western styles that had little relevance to Tehran's climate and an attempt to revive indigenous designs. The latter trend has been reinforced after the Islamic Revolution.
This tower which represents the city of Tehran is part of shahyad cultural complex which is located in Tehran's shahyad square in an area of some 5 hectares. This complex is composed of the following sections; The 50 meter high shahyad tower which forms the main part of the museum and its architecture is a combination of achaemenid and Sassanid architecture style. The audio - video hall of the complex which has been designed based on Iran's geographical map displays the regional characteristics of Iran in so far as cultural, life style, religious and historical monuments are concerned. A mechanical conveyer allows the visitors to visit the hall in total comfort. Some art galleries and halls have been allocated to temporary fairs and exhibitions. The Diorama hall with 12 chambers puts to display activities in agriculture, handicrafts, modern industry, etc. A cinema, library and sideline services complement the activities of this complex.
Tehran is going to be one of the giant city/culture in the world where you have to spend lot of time and energy to move from a point to another point.
The population of Tehran has had a boom in the last decades unfortunately, as a result of which urban development has not been smooth. In the recent years the municipality of Tehran has taken great measures to increase the number of recreational facilities, including park, stadiums,high ways theaters,etc.
the picturesque views in shemshak resort which absorb you to come and enjoy . more travel advice
shemshak resort is very attractive and has a nice atmosphere which you could enjoy on it. more travel advice
- See All Did you tasted the tradition iranian...
- See All In north of tehran, there are....
- See All Every night you can enjoy it's climate...
vahiddavoodi's Related Pages
Tehran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TEHRAN ,THE CITY OF LIFE"
- "Tehran - Museums, murals and much more......"
- "Tehran 'The end of the Road'"
- "Tehran - The Throbbing Heart of Iran"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tehran
- Hotels in Tehran
- Transportation in Tehran
- Nightlife in Tehran
- Restaurants in Tehran
- Shopping in Tehran
- Warnings and Dangers in Tehran
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tehran
- 52 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Tehran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tehran
Photos in TehranSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iran Intro, 60 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 52 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Esfahan Intro, 22 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kish Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Shahrud Intro, 23 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kashan Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yazd Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Takht-e-Jamshid Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gorgan Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Ostan-e Kerman Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos