"Costa Rica's Central Valley" Provincia de Cartago by eric_ives
Provincia de Cartago Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 217 photos
For the first few centuries of European settlement the capital of Costa Rica was Cartago. You can visit the ruins of Ujarras Orosi Carrara Basilica de Los Angeles, built in the 1680s. It was destroyed in an earthquake, but it remains an attractive place to visit. There are splendid gardens around the ruins.
Earthquakes have convinced the Costa Ricans to build churches that can withstand tremors, and so the new churches are quite solid. I enjoyed visiting the Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles in Cartago, which is even better on the inside than the outside. See it if you can.
I think many people who visit Costa Rica just see the cloud forest and the rainforests, and maybe visit a volcano and some museums in San Jose. It really is worth it to get out to smaller cities and meet the Costa Rican people. Costa Ricans tend to be fairly well educated and also somewhat friendly, especially if you get out of San Jose.
- Pros:Climate is moderate. More history in this part of Costa Rica
- Cons:Not a major destination, so not much tourism infrastructure
- In a nutshell:Worth more than a short stop on your way to the coast
eric_ives' Related Pages
Provincia de Cartago Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Provincia de Cartago
- Hotels in Provincia de Cartago
- Transportation in Provincia de Cartago
- Nightlife in Provincia de Cartago
- Restaurants in Provincia de Cartago
- Shopping in Provincia de Cartago
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Cartago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Cartago
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Provincia de Cartago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Cartago
Photos in Provincia de CartagoSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Norwich Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Chiayi Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Wales Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Irkutskaya Oblast' Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Corris Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Paris 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Ensenada 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Lodwar Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Kiev Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.