"Chiayi City" Chiayi by eric_ives

Chiayi Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 87 photos

My Time In Chiayi

I arrived in Chiayi early in July of 1990. I worked as an English Teacher there at the Oxford Language school, then located at the traffic circle at Chun-Shan Road and Wen-Hwah Road, above the New Taiwan Bakery (also no longer there). I lived in Chiayi until February of 1992, when I moved to TaiChung. I've been back to Chiayi in 1994, 1998, 2000, and 2003.

When in Chiayi I have lived in four different places. My wife grew up across from Chiayi Park on Chi-Min Road, and during my returns to Chiayi I've stayed there with my mother-in-law.

Chiayi was a great place to live, and I love to return there for visits. The people are, in general, friendly and helpful. The social workers and community activists in town seem dedicated and optimistic. There is a relaxed atmosphere compared to the big city life I experienced in TaiChung or TaiPei.

Chiayi, although not a suitable tourist destination in itself, is a fine place to spend a day on your way somewhere else if you happen to be passing through. Like TaiNan, it seems many of the Taiwanese customs are preserved. In Chiayi the temple celebrations are well observed, and people take the Seventh Lunar Month (Ghost month) seriously.

• Pros:Human Scale, Friendly, Near Mountains, Traditional Culture
  • Cons:Lawlessness, Neglect by the Central Government, Inadequate Recreational and Arts Opportunities
  • In a nutshell:A place from which, on a rare clear day, you can see the mountains, where you'd rather be.
  • Last visit to Chiayi: Jul 2000
  • Intro Written Apr 29, 2003

eric_ives

“Meet People, Make Friends, Promote Peace”

Badges & Stats in Chiayi