"Chiayi City" Chiayi by eric_ives
Chiayi Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 54 photos
I arrived in Chiayi early in July of 1990. I worked as an English Teacher there at the Oxford Language school, then located at the traffic circle at Chun-Shan Road and Wen-Hwah Road, above the New Taiwan Bakery (also no longer there). I lived in Chiayi until February of 1992, when I moved to TaiChung. I've been back to Chiayi in 1994, 1998, 2000, and 2003.
When in Chiayi I have lived in four different places. My wife grew up across from Chiayi Park on Chi-Min Road, and during my returns to Chiayi I've stayed there with my mother-in-law.
Chiayi was a great place to live, and I love to return there for visits. The people are, in general, friendly and helpful. The social workers and community activists in town seem dedicated and optimistic. There is a relaxed atmosphere compared to the big city life I experienced in TaiChung or TaiPei.
Chiayi, although not a suitable tourist destination in itself, is a fine place to spend a day on your way somewhere else if you happen to be passing through. Like TaiNan, it seems many of the Taiwanese customs are preserved. In Chiayi the temple celebrations are well observed, and people take the Seventh Lunar Month (Ghost month) seriously.
- Pros:Human Scale, Friendly, Near Mountains, Traditional Culture
- Cons:Lawlessness, Neglect by the Central Government, Inadequate Recreational and Arts Opportunities
- In a nutshell:A place from which, on a rare clear day, you can see the mountains, where you'd rather be.
Are there any customs or cultural traits that set Chiayi's happy residents apart from the rest of the Taiwanese? If you... more travel advice
In the past decade there have been a few bear sightings in eastern Chiayi County. As you go up the mountain highway... more travel advice
eric_ives' Related Pages
Chiayi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunny Chiayi"
- "Chia-Yi County (chinese: ¹Å¸q¿¤¥«)"
- "Chiayi City"
- "Long time no see..."
- "Sakuzan in Chia-i"
- "~The travel for looking cherry blssoms in Mt.Ali~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiayi
- Hotels in Chiayi
- Transportation in Chiayi
- Restaurants in Chiayi
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiayi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiayi
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Chiayi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiayi
Photos in ChiayiSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Norwich Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arches National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Chiayi Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Wales Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Irkutskaya Oblast' Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Corris Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Paris 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Ensenada 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Lodwar Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Kiev Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.