"Montserrat in Catalunya" Monistrol de Montserrat by gusev
Monistrol de Montserrat Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 397 photos
To see and to venerate the statue of Madonna with Child is the main objective of most of the visitors of the Montserrat Abbey built at a picturesque site on the mountain of Montserrat in Catalunya. The statue is know as La Moreneta, or the dark little one.
The Catalans believe that the statue works miracles. That is why it is the objective of pilgrimage by thousands of people - not only foreing tourists.
The statue is said to have been discovered in a nearby cave in the 9th century. They were led to the cave by a light illuminating the area from there. There is a chapel at that site at present.
Napoleon is said to have been trying to capture the Montserrat Abbey for some reason.
Just outside the Montserrat Abbey
To be continued
- Pros:Marvellous scenery; not far from Barcelona
- Cons:not very fit people will find it difficult to see all the beauties of the site
- In a nutshell:One needn't be religious to enjoy places of worship
A souvenir shop sells jewellry, books, slides, statuettes and what not. Silver or gold Black Madonna pendants. Silver... more travel advice
Very tasty local meals Good coffee Fresh snacks All at affordable prices The Abat Cisneros restaurant is also good... more travel advice
gusev's Related Pages
Monistrol de Montserrat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " Seamandrew's Monistrol de Montserrat Page "
- "MONTSERRAT IN RAIN"
- "Home of the La Moreneta"
- "monistrol de montserrat"
- "Monserrat, a quick trip from Barcelona"
- "Montserrat in Catalunya"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Hotels in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Transportation in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Restaurants in Monistrol de Montserrat
- Warnings and Dangers in Monistrol de Montserrat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monistrol de Montserrat
- 4 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Monistrol de Montserrat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monistrol de Montserrat
Top 5 Pages
- Bergamo Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reading Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Monistrol de Montserrat Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Rome Intro, 3 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.