"Peaceful waters" Lake Claiborne State Park by am&pm

At the end of March, 2005 we took our two kids on a mini-vacation during Spring Break to northern Louisiana---Lake Claiborne State Park. It caught my eye when I was looking on the internet for parks in LA. What attracted me first and foremost was the description of the "6400 acre lake with clear waters". LA isn't known for clear waters, especially in the southern part where I live. I was missing it since I moved down from New England where muddy water is rare. I decided this was a place worth looking at closer, and we weren't disappointed.

The cabin

There are 10 cabins at Lake Claiborne State Park. The year-round rate is $65/night and the cabin has everything you need for comfort: fully-equiped kitchen, bunkbeds for the kids, loft bedroom for adults, fold-out sofa, indoor fireplace, diningroom table and chairs, full bathroom, front open deck, fire pit, barbecue grill, side screened porch for those mosquito-ridden nights (which we didn't have, thank God). All you have to bring is your food and towels.

swimming

Tucked away in one of the arms of the lake is the swimming area which offered both shade and sun. It was still a little cool for a swim, being the end of March, but that didn't keep the kids out long. To the right of this picture were picnic tables and outdoor grills under a canopy of pines. During peak season (June, July, August) the concession stand is also open.

• Pros:Big, beautiful, full of fish, swimmable, boatable
  • Cons:quiet off-season but noisy peak season
  • In a nutshell:worth the 250 mile drive for us!
  • Last visit to Lake Claiborne State Park: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2009 at 3:00 AM

Canoeing on the lake looks so peaceful and lovely early morning. This area looks lovely, and the Cabins look pretty good as well, nice page, thanks.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 4:25 AM

Looks fantastic there and definately my type of camping ;-)

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 2:10 AM

nice page - looks like a great place for a few days rest and time to enjoy nature

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2005 at 9:05 AM

Nice page it looks & sounds so relaxing - loved the nightlife tip!!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 7:44 AM

It looks like enjoyable place, for relax. Very nice indeed. Greets.

am&pm

“Jesus is the author and finisher of my faith.”

Badges & Stats in Lake Claiborne State Park

Have you been to Lake Claiborne State Park?

Latest Activity in Lake Claiborne State Park