"Peaceful waters" Lake Claiborne State Park by am&pm
Lake Claiborne State Park Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 9 photos
At the end of March, 2005 we took our two kids on a mini-vacation during Spring Break to northern Louisiana---Lake Claiborne State Park. It caught my eye when I was looking on the internet for parks in LA. What attracted me first and foremost was the description of the "6400 acre lake with clear waters". LA isn't known for clear waters, especially in the southern part where I live. I was missing it since I moved down from New England where muddy water is rare. I decided this was a place worth looking at closer, and we weren't disappointed.
There are 10 cabins at Lake Claiborne State Park. The year-round rate is $65/night and the cabin has everything you need for comfort: fully-equiped kitchen, bunkbeds for the kids, loft bedroom for adults, fold-out sofa, indoor fireplace, diningroom table and chairs, full bathroom, front open deck, fire pit, barbecue grill, side screened porch for those mosquito-ridden nights (which we didn't have, thank God). All you have to bring is your food and towels.
Tucked away in one of the arms of the lake is the swimming area which offered both shade and sun. It was still a little cool for a swim, being the end of March, but that didn't keep the kids out long. To the right of this picture were picnic tables and outdoor grills under a canopy of pines. During peak season (June, July, August) the concession stand is also open.
- Pros:Big, beautiful, full of fish, swimmable, boatable
- Cons:quiet off-season but noisy peak season
- In a nutshell:worth the 250 mile drive for us!
I grew up doing a lot of camping in a tent. I used to laugh at people in campers and cabins because they didn't know... more travel advice
What can I say other than you've just GOT to build a fire in the fire pit and enjoy it by night, roasting marshmallows,... more travel advice
am&pm's Related Pages
Lake Claiborne State Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Lake Claiborne State Park
- Hotels in Lake Claiborne State Park
- Nightlife in Lake Claiborne State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Claiborne State Park
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Lake Claiborne State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Claiborne State Park
Top 5 Pages
- Massachusetts Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gulf Shores Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Arkansas Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Lake Claiborne State Park Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos