New York City Hotel Tips by sourbugger
New York City Hotels: 675,939 reviews and 1,091 photos
He never stayed at his namesake
The 'Urban Cowboy' has become a fixture of New York in recent years. He stands around Times Square with his strategically placed guitar placed over his almost obscene white knickers.
The Carter hotel shares a number of characteristics with this street entertainer.
1) They are both licensed by New York City. The Carter claims to be an hotel, although many hotel reviewers would beg to differ.
2) They are both extremely kitsch. The lobby of the Crater is festooned with mirrors and strings of red lights that remind you of a terrible 1970?s disco palace where you half-expect to see a man in a white suit and medallion to saunter across the lobby singing ?you can tell by the way I walk that I?m a woman?s man?
3) They both extract relatively small amounts of money from tourists. Then again, where else could you reasonably expect to find a relatively cheap bed (it has 700+ rooms) in NYC, when everywhere else is full.
4) They both occupy a prime location. The hotel is in the heart of Broadway on 250 West 43rd Street
There are certainly very many negative hotel reviews about this place, but if you accept it is just a cheap lodging place in an excellent location then ?You pays your money and takes your choice?
Unique Qualities: Just expect a Black & White TV in the room on it?s last legs with virtually no reception, a bathroom with the odd tile or two cracked or missing and a bed that has seen more action than a Muhammad Ali fight.
On the upside the rooms are generally larger than the average, and generally free from infestation.
One final thought ? there is one major difference between the Urban Cowboy and the Carter. The Urban cowboy must receive regular maintenance in the gym to keep in tip-top shape, but the Carter hasn?t benefited from an ounce of maintenance since 1937.
Address: 250 West 43rd Street, , New York City, New York St
Price Comparison: least expensive
Wow - a swinging cat.
You may well of heard of the term 'not enough room to swing a cat', and in some places I've stayed in Hong Kong or Tokyo you could not even get a cat in the room with you...before you attempted to swing it.
This Comfort inn is certainly limited in space, but the rooms are ergonomically laid out to suit the sort of traveller who wants a decent night's sleep in a mid-range hotel without unnecessary frills.
The lack of space also applies to the breakfast room which is a little disappointing and the exercise room (or should I say kiosk) which if it held three people would probably consititute ground for a divorce settlement.
As the hotel is part of a chain it will also regularly turn up on Hotel discounting sites.
Unique Qualities: The location is on the other hand excellent, close to Central park, a Subway station, Museums and a lively area with good restaurants and bars nearby.
Staff were also friendly with nice little touches like humourous e-mails pinned up in the lift (elevator) at times.
Address: 31 W 71st St, New York, NY 10023
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
More Reviews (28)
- See All Put the gun down.....don't spread 'em
- See All Gordon Gekko would be proud of this...
- See All If i can Make it there, I'll make it...
- See All A place to stand and remember
sourbugger's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 30 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (31)
Read real reviews about New York City Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (88)
- Central Park- 406 Reviews, 745 Photos
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island- 405 Reviews, 646 Photos
- Empire State Building- 374 Reviews, 610 Photos
- Times Square- 272 Reviews, 432 Photos
- Rockefeller Center - Plaza- 208 Reviews, 359 Photos
- Metropolitan Museum of Art- 194 Reviews, 382 Photos
- Brooklyn Bridge- 190 Reviews, 335 Photos
- Ground Zero - World Trade Center- 153 Reviews, 272 Photos
- Theatre District - Broadway Shows- 168 Reviews, 151 Photos
- Wall Street- 110 Reviews, 191 Photos
See All New York City Things to Do