Birmingham Nightlife Tips by sourbugger Top 5 Page for this destination
Birmingham Nightlife: 56 reviews and 30 photos
Birmingham has gained quite a reputation in recent years for being the home to a thriving trade in 'Gentleman's clubs' (or lapdancing palaces). Birmingham always used to known as somewhat 'conservative' town in the non-conformist mould. How time have changed.
The names that are picked for such establishments always amuse me. Whilst some are rather obvious in calling themselves 'legs 11', most have names that have no relationship to their business. What the hell is a 'Spearmint Rhino' ? and how does this refer to the girls who work within ? Does it mean they a gum-chewing old bruisers with thick hides ?
Another example is 'The Rocket club'. Not, as you might expect, a club for the study of space exploration but a 'Gentleman's club' on Broad street. Perhaps it implies that after a while inside you will be ready to 'go off like a rocket'. The parrots that adorn the outside of the club may be a subtle reference to the 'birds' that lie within.
Of course, the great irony is that no true 'Gentleman' would enter such an environment anyway.
P.S - Just to show that Birmingham nightlife is not just a testosterone-charged, male-bonding sexist playground, the girls also have their own strip joint. It's called Tricky Dickies. Quite.
Dress Code: Smart - ish. Depends on volume of trade.
Theme: Adult Spot
Rose Villa Tavern
The pub at the centre of the Jewellery quarter looks quite an ordinary midland boozer from the outside, but this 1920's pub is a masterpiece of its kind.
The tiling is of a very high standard and could be considered a work of art. Some of the tiles depict some rather nubile young ladies, which of course adds to the pleasure.
The beer and food are somewhat average, but it's a good place to rest a while whilst contemplating purchasing stuff in the jewellery quarter.
Dress Code: none
Address: Rose Villa Tavern,172 Warstone Lane
Directions: Jewelley quarter - next to the Clocktower
Theme: Eating and Drinking
More Reviews (47)
- See All brum...brum... the National Motorcycle...
- See All All those initials....
- See All It ain't no Ullwater...
- See All Home cooking ? you bet
- See All A very expensive souvenir
sourbugger's Related Pages
Birmingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birmingham, England ~~~~ original brum!"
- "Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum"
- "Birmingham: My Home!"
- "~ A Weekend In Birmingham ~"
- "J_P_B's Birmingham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birmingham
- Hotels in Birmingham
- Transportation in Birmingham
- Nightlife in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Shopping in Birmingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birmingham
- 49 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Birmingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birmingham
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: professional travel bloggers"
- Uploaded a Photo to "brum...brum... the National Motorcycle museum"
- Wrote a Review brum...brum... the National Motorcycle museum in Birmingham Things to Do
- Commented on one of JohnnySpangles's Birmingham travel pages
- updated a Birmingham Travel Page "Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 318 reviews, 312 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 209 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 115 reviews, 116 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 87 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 80 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 58 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (85)
- Cadbury World- 12 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Bull Ring- 20 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Victoria Square- 18 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Canals- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Chamberlain Square- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
- National Sealife Centre- 7 Reviews, 6 Photos
- National Exhibition Centre - NEC- 8 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Jewellery Quarter- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Star City- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Museum & Art Gallery- 11 Reviews, 18 Photos
See All Birmingham Things to Do