"Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum" Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham by sourbugger
Birmingham Travel Guide: 779 reviews and 1,289 photos
Birmingham used to be something of a standing joke in Britain. It was seen as a concrete wasteland hemmed in by American style freeways.
It's certainly true that as you approach Brum from the A38(M) it has the appearance of a medium-sized American city.
Despite this initial impression, Birmingham is a place that has undergone a renaissance in the last 10 years or so. The designer shops have moved in,and the place spruced up with new developments. Only the appauling underground hell of New Street station remains a reminder of past times.
Few people will still see Brum as a tourist destination in itself, but at least it has become a good place to spend a few days whilst you are in Brum for other reasons. Many people end up in Brum as they are sent there (as opposed to being sent to Coventry !) for conferences and meetings.
Many also come for sporting or entertainment events : Birmingham has great facilities in this respect with the National Exhibition Centre, the National Indoor arena, the Symphony hall etc.
The regeneration continues a pace with the new landmark building of Selfidges opening in the re-built Bullring.
Get rid of you prejudices ... visit a very vibrant city now.
Tarra a bit......sourbugger.
- Pros:A city that has re-discovered itself & Noddy Holder
- Cons:M5, M6, M42, A38(M), Bus lanes
- In a nutshell:yowell know what i mean then loike ?
Located in Solihul near Birmingham International Airport the National Motorcycle museum occupies modern buildings just... more travel advice
Despite all the creative talents out there on the virtual world, it is quite a difficult feat to make Pendigo lake... more travel advice
- See All Home cooking ? you bet
- See All BAZOOMBAS BAZOOMBAS
- See All A very expensive souvenir
- See All More new museums on the Horizon
sourbugger's Related Pages
Birmingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birmingham, England ~~~~ original brum!"
- "Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum"
- "Birmingham: My Home!"
- "~ A Weekend In Birmingham ~"
- "J_P_B's Birmingham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birmingham
- Hotels in Birmingham
- Transportation in Birmingham
- Nightlife in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Shopping in Birmingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birmingham
- 49 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Birmingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birmingham
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: time for a purge"
- Uploaded a Photo to "brum...brum... the National Motorcycle museum"
- Wrote a Review brum...brum... the National Motorcycle museum in Birmingham Things to Do
- Commented on one of JohnnySpangles's Birmingham travel pages
- updated a Birmingham Travel Page "Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos