"Reinventing itself again" Top 5 Page for this destination Blackpool by sourbugger
Blackpool Travel Guide: 482 reviews and 892 photos
Blackpool is easily the biggest seaside resort in the UK. I've heard it said it has more hotel beds than in Spain, or Portugal or somewhere like that.
The resort has always relied on things other than sunshine to succeed. This is not surprising as most of the time the place is lashed by biting winds from the Irish sea !
Blackpool's hey day was way back between the ways and into the 1950's then the 'wake weeks' operated. Whole towns would 'up sticks' and decend en-mass to Blackpool. Each week would have been a different local town from the Lancashire industrial heartlands.
Like other resorts it was it hard by the loss of much of this trade and the explosion of holiday packages to sunnier places (i.e anywhere else on the planet apart from Blackpool)
Blackpool fought back with newer theme park rides, alcohol flowing freely, deafening clubs and more stag and hen parties than seems feasible in a civilised democracy.
Blackpool is now set to re-invent itself again as the British Las Vegas - stand by for major redevelopment.
One of my favourite Blackpool stories, which shows the clash of the old and the new is when Peter Mandelson ( a labour party politician) apparantly dropped into a fish and chip shop during a party conference. It is said that he asked for a helping of 'that rather excellent looking guaccamole over there'. The bemused woman behind the counter eventually realised he meant the mushy peas !
The latest wheeze appears to be a plan (nov 06) to build a walk through rainforest / jungle attraction, similar to the Eden project in Cornwall. I hope it comes off, the idea seems impressive.
- Pros:big and brassy - fun in a bucket
- Cons:class ? I don't think so
- In a nutshell:Proudly Northern
A recent addition to Blackpool's attractions is the 'comedy carpet'. Located on the promenade directly in front of the... more travel advice
One of the little fun 'wind-ups' that may be given to a new, wet-behind-the-ears recruit in an office or factory is to... more travel advice
sourbugger's Related Pages
Blackpool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reinventing itself again"
- "Blackpool ( Kiss me quick hats )"
- "Brilliant Blackpool"
- "Candy Floss in Winter"
- "Golden Mile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Blackpool
- Hotels in Blackpool
- Transportation in Blackpool
- Nightlife in Blackpool
- Restaurants in Blackpool
- Shopping in Blackpool
- Warnings and Dangers in Blackpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Blackpool
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Blackpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blackpool
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: professional travel bloggers"
- Uploaded a Photo to "eee, i'll tell you another one......"
- Wrote a Review eee, i'll tell you another one...... about Promenade in Blackpool Things to Do
- updated a Blackpool Travel Page "Reinventing itself again"
- Commented on one of nandywell's Blackpool travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 318 reviews, 312 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 209 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 115 reviews, 116 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 87 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 80 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 58 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos