"Oxford is a complete arse...." Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge by sourbugger

Cambridge Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 1,719 photos

I can't say that I ever really got on with Cambridge. I lived there for a year when in training as a post-grad, but it always seemed less fun than Durham (see Sourbugger's Salad days page on Durham).

Cambridge is of course where the serious education in the UK takes place.

General Melchett in 'Blackadder goes forth' (BBC Comedy) delivers a brilliant line when Blackadder is telling him that he has 'caught out' a German spy. The alleged spy failed to spot that there was something wrong with the sentence 'That he attended one of the great English Universities Cambridge, Oxford or Hull'.
Melchett replies "Yes, Oxford's a complete arse"
"Quite" says Blackadder.

I would just add the following observation :

Between the two world wars, at Cambridge they first split the atom, whilst at Oxford they invented a new type of baggy trousers !

Quite.

• Pros:Delightful architecture, and very walkable
  • Cons:Too many hooray henrys
  • In a nutshell:Best University in the world
  • Last visit to Cambridge: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2004

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Very nice! I watched a travel program last eve on Cambridge that heightened my interest.

• Suet's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 7:22 AM

Takes me back to my youth dear!!!! I cycled everywhere and anywhere :)

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 3:05 PM

I love that pic of the Mathematical bridge - I lived in Cambridge for 4 years and didn't cross it! Marion

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 4:40 AM

My internet connection's playing up... but managed to work through your fine page here... just wait till I start my Cambride pages ... I see you had some sun last Friday or was your Parker's Piece photo taken before? I work right beside there

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 2:08 PM

Very entertaining page and tips !

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 3:53 AM

Charming, indeed. I'm not sure if I should confess how I often confuse Cambridge and Oxford, so I won't. Bumper book of Manx cats? I want it!

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 5:39 AM

Nice to see you've made it down here - and found some of the more interesting places... Cheers.

sourbugger

“Deny yourself nothing, but deny everything.”

Badges & Stats in Cambridge

Have you been to Cambridge?

Latest Activity in Cambridge