"A trip down memory lane for sourbugger" Top 5 Page for this destination Durham by sourbugger
Durham Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 614 photos
I am going to make no apologies for this page - it is going to be purely person meander through my past.
I spent three years here at university, whilst some exploits will have to remain secret (mainly because they might break the official Secrets Act) other slightly less savoury aspects of my murky past may see the light of day.
Durham is England third University after Oxford and Cambridge and was founded in 1832.
I know this because of a conversation that I had with an academic tutor whilst at college. It went something like this
TUTOR ; "You know, you are the worst Greek student we have had in this university since 1832"
SB : "Why ? what happened then ?"
TUTOR : "The University was founded"
(still got my Desmond however - a 2:2)
If you are planning a trip to Scotland from london, then Durham makes a great stopover for a day. In the words of Bill Bryson :
"If you have never been to Durham, go at once. Take my car. It's wonderful."
( Notes from a Small Island (1995), pp 234-35.)
It can be argued that few places in the world can match the City of Durham, with its dramatic setting on a horseshoe bend in the River Wear. The great Norman Cathedral and nearby Castle - which is part of the University - form a World Heritage site, recognised by UNESCO as one of the most exceptional historic and architectural features of the planet.
Again in the words of Bill Bryson :
"I unhesitatingly gave Durham my vote for best cathedral on planet Earth."
(Notes from a Small Island (1995), p 235)
I've not written about the Cathedral as a whole, but you will find five tips about different aspects of the Cathedral and it's activities which i hope are of help to you.
- Pros:A stunning location
- Cons:Bloody cold in winter
- In a nutshell:It maybe ful of Oxbridge rejects (not I), but both places pale into significance behind this place.
Coal mining has been an essential part of the North-East since the beginning of the industrial revolution. Nowadays the... more travel advice
Unlike the Cathedral that is built on Bedrock, the castle may well have existed for over 900 years, but its had to fight... more travel advice
- See All Stay a night in the castle
- See All Where there is heaven...you also have...
- Sourbugger's guide to the Pubs of Durham
sourbugger's Related Pages
Durham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip down memory lane for sourbugger"
- "Daytripping to Durham"
- "Durham - great for students"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durham
- Hotels in Durham
- Transportation in Durham
- Nightlife in Durham
- Restaurants in Durham
- Shopping in Durham
- Warnings and Dangers in Durham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durham
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Durham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durham
Photos in DurhamSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos