"A trip down memory lane for sourbugger" Top 5 Page for this destination Durham by sourbugger

Durham Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 559 photos

Oh yes I remember it well

I am going to make no apologies for this page - it is going to be purely person meander through my past.

I spent three years here at university, whilst some exploits will have to remain secret (mainly because they might break the official Secrets Act) other slightly less savoury aspects of my murky past may see the light of day.

Durham is England third University after Oxford and Cambridge and was founded in 1832.

I know this because of a conversation that I had with an academic tutor whilst at college. It went something like this

TUTOR ; "You know, you are the worst Greek student we have had in this university since 1832"

SB : "Why ? what happened then ?"

TUTOR : "The University was founded"

(still got my Desmond however - a 2:2)

If you are planning a trip to Scotland from london, then Durham makes a great stopover for a day. In the words of Bill Bryson :

"If you have never been to Durham, go at once. Take my car. It's wonderful."
( Notes from a Small Island (1995), pp 234-35.)

It can be argued that few places in the world can match the City of Durham, with its dramatic setting on a horseshoe bend in the River Wear. The great Norman Cathedral and nearby Castle - which is part of the University - form a World Heritage site, recognised by UNESCO as one of the most exceptional historic and architectural features of the planet.

Again in the words of Bill Bryson :

"I unhesitatingly gave Durham my vote for best cathedral on planet Earth."
(Notes from a Small Island (1995), p 235)
I've not written about the Cathedral as a whole, but you will find five tips about different aspects of the Cathedral and it's activities which i hope are of help to you.

• Pros:A stunning location
  • Cons:Bloody cold in winter
  • In a nutshell:It maybe ful of Oxbridge rejects (not I), but both places pale into significance behind this place.
  • Last visit to Durham: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2006

• gwendar's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Locals are not geordies,those are persons from tyneside mackams are from the wearside area

• WheninRome's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Nice Durham page. Staying in the castle/college sounds intriguing.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 3:40 AM

Excellent page about one of my favourite cities. I haven't been for a while, but the view of the cathedral & castle from the station is always a high point of any train journey to Newcastle :) You've made me realise I should go back here some time soon

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2005 at 12:58 PM

Great tips, would love to stay in the castle, eat a Stottie cake, admire the cathedral and perhaps even visit the (in)famous prison. But I am not giving my cornetto away to anybody, not even the inmates.

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2005 at 9:00 PM

SB, Sir SB? Durham B&B tips - so you made it out of bed for breakfast then did you??? Marvellous stuff in here....

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 7:22 AM

we have a jar of green marmalde, all that green stuff, definately your salad days here

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2004 at 5:47 AM

Surprisingly mellow page from SB!

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 5:27 AM

After reading about all those Buck's Fizz followed by the green breakfast, I think I'll be sick now ;-) Great tips otherwise, lol!

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2004 at 3:51 PM

The Durham Cathedral is truly stunning, I once visited it on my way to Lindisfarne. And thanks for refreshing my memory with the cloister picture, I loved that place! :-) Nice page!

• zuriga's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2004 at 5:06 AM

A dear place in my heart... my sweetie's dad went to uni at Durham and we went back to explore. It's a lovely town and oh, that cathedral!!

sourbugger

“Deny yourself nothing, but deny everything.”

Badges & Stats in Durham