"Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......" Top 5 Page for this destination London by sourbugger
London Travel Guide: 24,324 reviews and 52,940 photos
I had that sourbugger in the back of my cab once...and he wanted to go south of the river..what ? at this tme of night..i'm on me way home.
There are few people in life who have lived in Catford, South London who actually moved to place that was worse - in England.
I spent 18 months in this depressing place, but it did give me the opportunity to jump onto the train on many a weekend and explore London.
Twelve years on I must have visited London countless times, and in writing these pages it has been a bit of trip down memory lane for me remembering some good experiences as well as few more forgettable ones.
I've purposely tried to include tips that are not too obvious - everyone has their 'hitlist' of things to see befoe they come and will generally stick to it. All the places I have mentioned I have personally visited at some time or another.
With London not being a city at all, but rather a collection of villages that have become mushed together, one of the best ways of exploring the areas beyond the circle line is to jump an any bus at random on a Sunday and just see where it takes you. Have a wander and jump on another. I think this is possibly one on the purest forms of travel and it means you can get a feel for the disparate neighbourhoods. This is especially true of North London with the rich variety of cultures from the Greeks and Turks, the Jews of Golders Green, The artsy crowd of Hampstead to the Irish of Kilburn to name just a few.
Some of the greatest places on earth I used to know are no more.
It is an absolute disgrace that London Pub owners don't know when they have got it right.
The Sun Inn in Conduit street used to be a Mecca for real-ale drinkers (if that is the right word to use, when Muslims are supposed to be teetotal), with up to 40 real ales available. It is now a dog's breakfast of some plastic paddy outfit serving the same vomit inducing lager as everywhere else.
The Fox and Furkin in South London used to be the business, with its own microbrewery and friday evening music that brought the house down. I remember once, an Australian guitarist who played there went outside to see how far his new-fangled radio mike would work. He jumped on a bus, not realising it was out of service - and ended up in Clapham. He had to get a taxi back. He then re-entered the pub playing the end of the same song he left with !
Now it's still got the same name, but with ropey beer, ropey fittings and ropey barmaids - what a shame.
- Pros:Cosmopolitan is a word invented for London
- Cons:Bloody traffic, bloody minicabs, bloody trains
- In a nutshell:If a man is tired of London he probably works for Kwik fit
There has been quite a bit of talk this year (2010) about introducing a scheme that has been kicked around for a few... more travel advice
Sourbugger found a fantastic bargain here in August 2010. August, when some hotels ramp up their rates. Through the... more travel advice
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
sourbugger's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 288 Reviews
- 282 Photos
- 67 Forum posts
- 108 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
- Commented on one of sourbugger's London tips
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: time for a purge"
- updated a London Travel Page "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- Wrote a Review Will this work on oxford street ? about Traffic, Driving and Crossing the road in London Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Will this work on oxford street ?"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos