"Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......" Top 5 Page for this destination London by sourbugger

London Travel Guide: 23,494 reviews and 49,597 photos

Visiting the big smoke

I had that sourbugger in the back of my cab once...and he wanted to go south of the river..what ? at this tme of night..i'm on me way home.

There are few people in life who have lived in Catford, South London who actually moved to place that was worse - in England.

I spent 18 months in this depressing place, but it did give me the opportunity to jump onto the train on many a weekend and explore London.

Twelve years on I must have visited London countless times, and in writing these pages it has been a bit of trip down memory lane for me remembering some good experiences as well as few more forgettable ones.

I've purposely tried to include tips that are not too obvious - everyone has their 'hitlist' of things to see befoe they come and will generally stick to it. All the places I have mentioned I have personally visited at some time or another.

With London not being a city at all, but rather a collection of villages that have become mushed together, one of the best ways of exploring the areas beyond the circle line is to jump an any bus at random on a Sunday and just see where it takes you. Have a wander and jump on another. I think this is possibly one on the purest forms of travel and it means you can get a feel for the disparate neighbourhoods. This is especially true of North London with the rich variety of cultures from the Greeks and Turks, the Jews of Golders Green, The artsy crowd of Hampstead to the Irish of Kilburn to name just a few.

Mourning the loss of beer

Some of the greatest places on earth I used to know are no more.

It is an absolute disgrace that London Pub owners don't know when they have got it right.

The Sun Inn in Conduit street used to be a Mecca for real-ale drinkers (if that is the right word to use, when Muslims are supposed to be teetotal), with up to 40 real ales available. It is now a dog's breakfast of some plastic paddy outfit serving the same vomit inducing lager as everywhere else.

The Fox and Furkin in South London used to be the business, with its own microbrewery and friday evening music that brought the house down. I remember once, an Australian guitarist who played there went outside to see how far his new-fangled radio mike would work. He jumped on a bus, not realising it was out of service - and ended up in Clapham. He had to get a taxi back. He then re-entered the pub playing the end of the same song he left with !

Now it's still got the same name, but with ropey beer, ropey fittings and ropey barmaids - what a shame.

• Pros:Cosmopolitan is a word invented for London
  • Cons:Bloody traffic, bloody minicabs, bloody trains
  • In a nutshell:If a man is tired of London he probably works for Kwik fit
  • Last visit to London: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2013

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Great Tips, I will be back to read more later!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
      Oct 16, 2012 at 2:54 AM

many thanks, must do some more updating sometime soon.
      best wishes. sourbugger

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I'm such a fan of your pages!!! Read them all the time! Wishing you a very un-sour congratulations on your Barney nomination!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Really enjoyed the customs tips. As an American, I learned a great deal. Plus, your tips are always fun to read.

• PeteG's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Catford? Luxury! I lived in West Norwood then moved to Penge!

• Jan 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Taking the famous Abbey Road cover photo is extremely dangerous, as in order to get the correct angle you must stand in the middle of the intersection with your back to traffic. Take the photo early on a Sunday AM if you must!

• Jun 7, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Thanks for all this great advice, I just got back from a great trip to London using your tips and those on http://www.moneysavinglondon.com. They were all I needed! (foolishly I ignored advice to skip the London Dungeon... it really is AWFUL!)

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Hi mate! Recommended your London pages to a colleague of mine who is visiting for the first time, so don't let her down! Cheers. MrBill.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Ok, ready to print my Custom Travel Guide now, thank you!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Oh, what a sea of helpful and great information!Thanks a lot! Very impressiVe indeed!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Good tips...

sourbugger

“Deny yourself nothing, but deny everything.”

Badges & Stats in London