"It's a different land" Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne by sourbugger
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide: 829 reviews and 1,629 photos
Although only a dialect, when you come across a real broad Geordie accent it might as well be Mongolian or Serbo-Croat.
Peter Beardsley ( a local footballing legend) once suffered the indignity of having an interview with him sub-titled to aid the understanding of those of us who talk english.
A more recent example is as follows (From the Sunday Times Sept 2004)
"Foreign nurses working in Newcastle are being given special lessons in Geordie. All the nurses passed English tests but have been baffled by the local dialect. one was puzzled when a patient asked for the "netty", meaning the lavatory. now they will be taught phrases such as "Ah wes pelatick" (I was very drunk) and "Wor bairn's hacky mucky" (Or baby needs a wash)
- Pros:Lots of very attractive women in tiny miniskirts
- Cons:Lots of big jealous boyfriends in Football shirts
- In a nutshell:Welcome to the country of Geordieland
Viz is an 'adult' comic that still sells about 100,000 copies on each issue, and you can buy a copy at most newsagents... more travel advice
God, don't they build Northern women well ? Bigg Market in the centre of Newcastle is at the heart, or perhaps exposed... more travel advice
- Biggest running event in the U.K
- See All Escape through the square window.....
- See All High Speed -route of the Flying Scotsman
sourbugger's Related Pages
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A city and its river"
- "Many Bridges To Cross"
- "It's a different land"
- "The Toon"
- "Newcastle upon Tyne Page"
- "Love at first sight!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Transportation in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Nightlife in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Shopping in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Warnings and Dangers in Newcastle upon Tyne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle upon Tyne
- 30 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Newcastle upon Tyne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: professional travel bloggers"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Newcastle upon Tyne travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sid the Sexist, Biffa Bacon, the fat slags & co about Geordie - language in Newcastle upon Tyne Local Customs
- updated a Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Page "It's a different land"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Local religion....."
Photos in Newcastle upon TyneSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 318 reviews, 312 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 209 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 115 reviews, 116 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 87 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 80 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 58 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos