"Dedicated to the King of Peterborough" Top 5 Page for this destination Peterborough by sourbugger
Peterborough Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 198 photos
Whilst sourbugger was born here (the city not the bus shelter) in the dim and distant past of 1968, this page is not about me.
The most famous celebrity in Peterborough is without a doubt Nobby the Tramp. He has his own website (ghost written) and has hit headlines all over the world - just try putting Nobby the tramp into google.
My 4-year old Nephew, without prompting started referring to him as the "King" after passing by the shelter several times. Its a refreshing way to look at our class-ridden society, so I will adopt his usage.
The King of Peterborough most recently hit the headlines over supposedly agreeing to play playing in a professional golf tournament. Most of the reporting went something like this :
"A PETERBOROUGH tramp has fooled a newspaper into running a story saying he was playing in a professional golf tournament. The Peterborough Herald & Post's executives had reportedly also agreed to help fund his trip to the North West of Ireland Open at Ballyliffin. Nobby was given a set of clubs earlier in the year and regularly practises his swing behind the bus shelter he calls home. Herald & Post editor of content, Steve Rose, said: "It was an agreement between Nobby and ourselves. We spoke to him in good faith." But Nobby, whose real name is Michael Ross, told The Evening Telegraph he had never expected his wisecrack to make it into print."
This real story, which some believe to be true is that the guy was genuine, but with tickets and everything paid for the paper forgot to send a car for him and so he never went. There are rumours that something maybe organised for him next year.
Taken from hs website which can be found at
In one of the more exclusive residential areas of Peterborough lives one of the city's most public figures, Nobby the tramp.
No one seems to know his name (Sourbugger : complete rubbish this bit its Mr Ross) or where he came from, some say he is a fugitive, some say he is on the mafia's hit list, the most popular theory is that his wife died in a fire nearby some years ago and he just wants to be nearby.
(Sourbugger, I believe the reason is that he can no longer face living in a closed environment - after all the local parish council offered him a flat for free, and he refused them)
He first started dossing in his bus shelter home sometime in the early 90's and soon won the affection of local residents who make sure he has warm clothing in the winter and often drop off gifts of food and tobbaco, Christmas day at Nobby's house has to be seen to be believed. The fact that he does not drink and keeps himself to himself is perhaps one of the reasons he is still there, indeed attempts to evict him were met with stiff opposition from locals and now the council has decided to let him stay there and they intend to build another bus shelter.
(Sourbugger : this is no lie, you would not believe the amount of presents he recieves from people at Christmas time, all wrapped up in Christmas paper and left unopened)
- Pros:A place were a convention can be turned on it's head
- Cons:It's a cultural desert - Philistineburgh
- In a nutshell:More than a dormatory for London
Although he looked nothing like him, I found it very hard to conceal my amusement at the Breakfast waiter who runs... more travel advice
I've always wondered why people get out of an open-air swimming pool when it starts raining. Strange that. The 'lido'... more travel advice
- See All Peterborough's second Cathedral...?
- See All I only found it myself the other day...
- Pork pies and sausages
- Confusing as hell...I'm told
sourbugger's Related Pages
Peterborough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dedicated to the King of Peterborough"
- "WELL, WHAT CAN I SAY, IT`S HOME"
- "Peterborough: Home Away from Home"
- "Peterborough, Medehamstede and the Big Cathedral"
- "Welcome to Peterborough"
- "Interesting cathedral........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peterborough
- Hotels in Peterborough
- Transportation in Peterborough
- Nightlife in Peterborough
- Restaurants in Peterborough
- Shopping in Peterborough
- Warnings and Dangers in Peterborough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peterborough
- 34 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Peterborough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peterborough
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: time for a purge"
- Wrote a Review Peterborough's second Cathedral...? in Peterborough Things to Do
- Commented on one of timlloydlangston's Peterborough travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "No Bull, honest"
- updated a Peterborough Travel Page "Dedicated to the King of Peterborough"
Photos in PeterboroughSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos