"If God had wanted us to go to Skegness.." Skegness by sourbugger
Skegness Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 76 photos
...then it wouln't be connected to the world by the A52
Skegness, it has to be said has something of a reputation as a windswept dump on the east coast.
Little in this hatchet job will dispell that sterotype.
The only thing that is jolly about this place is the logo - the jolly fisherman.
One enduring image of the town is the well known picture of the big fat fisherman prancing down the beach. If he did that these days he would be probably be arrested.
FROM WWW.JOLLYFISHERMAN.co.uk :
It has been said with some truth that Skegness rose to fame on a poster. The Jolly Fisherman poster and its accompanying slogan is probably the most famous holiday advertisement ever drawn. It has been circulated hundreds of times in almost every newspaper in the land, and the dancing salt has been imitated by thousands of visitors. John Hassall drew the picture in 1908. It had been commissioned by the Great Northern Railway Company and for this masterpiece he received twelve guineas. The “so bracing” slogan, of almost equal importance, is believed to have been the brainchild of an unknown member of the Railway Staff. The poster was first put on display at Easter time that same year in conjunction with a special three-shilling excursion from Kings Cross. The last of these trips ran on August Bank Holiday, 1913. Hassall, one of the greatest of all poster artists, drew many telling advertisements, but none so fine as the Jolly Fisherman. He visited Skegness only once in his life. That was in 1936 when the town which he had put on the map presented him with an illuminated address and “the freedom of the foreshore”.John Hassall said, “the reality of Skegness has eclipsed all my anticipation's. It is even more bracing and attractive than I had been led to expect”. Born in Deal, as a young man he twice tried, without success, to join the Army. In frustration he went off to Canada, and whilst there he turned his hand to sketching. Returning to England, he went on to Paris and Antwerp to study art, and the first pictures he sent to the Royal Academy were accepted. Hassall’s original masterpiece hangs in a place of honor in Skegness Town Hall. It was formally given to the town by British Railways, along with the copyright in 1966.
The artist died in 1948, eighty years old and penniless.
- Pros:Makes Hell look like a desirable option
- In a nutshell:Thank God I live in the civilised world
There are about 50 piers left in the UK. Although not a uniquely British phenomenon, they do seem to symbolise the... more travel advice
The introduction page to Skegness gives you the full rundown on one of the oldest mascots in the business. I only... more travel advice
- See All Rocking on the rails
- See All Cross my palm with silver, dearie
- See All Largest market in Europe (so they claim)
- See All An oasis of good taste
- See All Home of "The Beatles" - not many people...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Skegness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "If God had wanted us to go to Skegness.."
- "A Step Back in Time"
- "A day tour in Skegness"
- "English seaside holiday"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skegness
- Hotels in Skegness
- Transportation in Skegness
- Nightlife in Skegness
- Restaurants in Skegness
- Shopping in Skegness
- Warnings and Dangers in Skegness
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skegness
- 33 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Skegness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skegness
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos