Stansted Transportation Tips by sourbugger Top 5 Page for this destination
Stansted Transportation: 21 reviews and 39 photos
Light at the end of the tunnel ?
The Stansted express train to London (Liverpool Street)is a disgusting rip-off at TWENTY FOUR pounds return in cattle class. (or express class as they call it).
It certainly is not a sleek, aerodynamic, high-speed train either.
In addition it stops at 00.30 at night, so coaches are the only option during the night.
It is at least clean and convenient. Some Low-cost airlines offer tickets whilst on the way to London that will give you a bit of a discount, but remember that the road links are far cheaper.
One parking solution...
IF you are dropping passengers off you can drive up to the terminal building - but don't on any account leave your car.
If you are picking passengers up then you must enter the short-term car park area.
You used get 15 minutes free here in the specially marked area. BAA, being a bunch of miserly sods now make you pay a pound for 15 minutes ! Someone has to pay for terminal 5 at Heathrow !
Be warned : staying in the pick up area for a hour will be severely punished : TWENTY FIVE POUNDS ! and you have to write a grovelling letter of apology and deliver it to the parking attendant on your knees (OK, I exaggerate slightly)
Type: Car/Motor Home
There is now good competition on the Stansted - Central London route, and you can get a quick link to their various websites through www.baa.com
It is usually best not to book ahead if you are ARRIVING at Stansted as just turning up at the airport bus station means you will be able to get the first one leaving.
The average price is around 15 pounds return, although a new competitor called 'Terravision' (www.lowcostbus.com) is often a little cheaper.
Oh yeah ?
There is a serious lack of Petrol stations at Stansted airport.
There are also none in either direction on the M11 for about twenty miles north or south.
It's therefore useful to know that the Service station (Bishop's Stortford) on the same large roundabout as the entrance to Stansted airport has a "Shell" station.
I also believe there is a new one by the mid-stay car park about a mile from the terminal.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (16)
- See All Don't leave your car on any account
- See All Where to lose your shirt...
- Local villages, a stone's throw away
- High Jinx in the hotel next door
sourbugger's Related Pages
Stansted Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guide to the Low-cost airline heaven"
- "Another Way Into the Country :-))"
- "One night in Stansted"
- "Stansted - Home of the No-Frills flight"
- "Stansted - an Airport in Essex"
- "Walking to Stansted airport."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stansted
- Hotels in Stansted
- Transportation in Stansted
- Nightlife in Stansted
- Restaurants in Stansted
- Shopping in Stansted
- Warnings and Dangers in Stansted
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stansted
- 20 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to Stansted?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stansted
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: time for a purge"
- Commented on one of alucas's Stansted travel pages
- Wrote a Review Don't leave your car on any account in Stansted Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't leave your car on any account"
- updated a Stansted Travel Page "Guide to the Low-cost airline heaven"
Photos in StanstedSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos