Dublin Favorite Tips by sourbugger Top 5 Page for this destination
Dublin Favorites: 400 reviews and 359 photos
Favorite thing: It would seem to me that about half the world claim to be of Irish descent. It's a 'cool' race to be a member of. Never had an empire, never invaded anywhere. Built most of America (and Britain come to that), but is widely thought of as a pastoral idyll.
It's not surprising that vast numbers of tourist are keen on trying to pick up their Irish roots. Some have been known to turn up to tourist information at Dublin Airport demanding to be sent in the right direction for the 'Ryans of Kerry'.
Of slightly more practical use is the resident geneologist who gives a free hours consulatation if you stay at the Shelbourne hotel in Dublin. E-mail her with what you have beforehand and she will get going before you arrive.
If you don't have the money for that five-star service there are plenty of others who will offer their services for a price. Be warned - many will tell you a right load of old rubbish in return for the hefty whack of the tourist dollar on their desk.
Favorite thing: You are never very far from a bronze in Dublin, and unusually the monuments themselves become part of the history of the nation.
For example the new spire in O'Connell street is on the site of Nelson's column which was blown up by the IRA in the 1960's. Others in Pheonix park and elsewhere were also attacked back in the 1920's & 30's. Queen Victoria escaped such a fate - but was sold to Australia!
Fondest memory: The Dublin sense of humour really come through in the nicknaming of the various monuments. Here are a couple of my favourites:
1) Molly Malone in Grafton street - known as the 'Tart with the cart'.
2) The shoppers in Batcherlors walk (near Ha'penny bridge) - known the 'Hags with the bags'.
- unfortunately the 'Floozie in the Jacuzzi' is currently without a home - which somehow seems appropriate. It also had the nickname of the "whore in the sewar" which only rhymes in a Dublin accent (As in the 'haw-arr' in the 'Saw-arr'.)
As the big pointy thing is in the site now perhaps I could suggest a nickname for the pointy thing:
"The spike through the dyke" - What do you think ?
More Reviews (84)
- See All If i don't know the answer....
- See All Get some diesel fumes up the hooter.
- See All Beware....penquins
- See All Saving some money on dublin bus !
- See All maldron - cardiff lane
- See All Herbert park, Ballsbridge
sourbugger's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "Dirty old town"
- "The GREAT city of Dublin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 86 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (138)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: time for a purge"
- Wrote a Review If i don't know the answer.... in Dublin Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Get some diesel fumes up the hooter."
- Commented on one of sourbugger's Dublin travel pages
- updated a Dublin Travel Page "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (88)
- Kilmainham Jail- 78 Reviews, 142 Photos
- Trinity College- 142 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Guinness Brewery- 141 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Dublin Castle- 111 Reviews, 184 Photos
- Christ Church Cathedral- 93 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Temple Bar- 56 Reviews, 91 Photos
- St. Stephen's Green- 75 Reviews, 158 Photos
- Millennium Spire- 29 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Ha'penny Bridge- 58 Reviews, 92 Photos
- O'Connell Street- 41 Reviews, 74 Photos
See All Dublin Things to Do