"Great place - but not the real Ireland" Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin by sourbugger
Dublin Travel Guide: 5,403 reviews and 10,309 photos
A story from the Sunday Times (31/8/03) I think neatly sums up the kind of affect that Dublin and its famous black liquid can have on people :
RED FACES OF THE WEEK :
Three Italian tourist enjoyed a tour of the Guiness storehouse in Dublin and a meal on the first day of their holiday in ireland - and then forgot where they were staying. The three men spent two days sleeping in their hire car and searching for their guest house, where they had left their luggage, airline tickets and passports, before going to the police for help. A spokesman for the Garda said: "All they knew was that the accommodation might have had a green door, was on a main road and beside a school".
Another story about Dublin you may like is made-up, but it does have a certain truth to it about "Rip-off Ireland"
There has been much concern over the last few years about the cost of living in Ireland, it is now one of the highest in Europe. This disparity has become even more apparant with the advent of the Euro - making comparisons far easier to do. Levels of customer service can also leave something to be desired at times. This is especialy true in areas such as groceries, restaurants and other parts of the tourist industry.
This little story (as told to me by my Sister in law) may help to put it into some kind of perspective.
Paddy goes on holiday in Europe and decides to purchase a Donner Kebab.
The Kebab man takes a pitta bread and loads it up with good quality meat, packs it brim full of salad and hand it to Paddy, "That will be 2 euro please"
"2 Euro ?" says Paddy "That is so much better than back home "
"You Irish ?" asks the Kebab man, and with that he swipes the Kebab back, scapes out most of the meat and salad, gobs in it, and hands it back to Paddy.
- Pros:Guinness available
- Cons:Guinness too available
- In a nutshell:Great if you can avoid English stag nights
There are a few companies that do the 'tour bus' route in Dublin. They all do the same route (as far as I can work out)... more travel advice
If you happen to be hotelled (is that even a word ?) then take a short walk through 'Herbert park'. It's a rather... more travel advice
- See All If i don't know the answer....
- See All Saving some money on dublin bus !
- See All what's it all about ?
- See All character is spades
sourbugger's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "AT LAST I MADE IT TO DUBLIN"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "Dirty old town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 86 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
- updated a Dublin Travel Page "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: time for a purge"
- Wrote a Review If i don't know the answer.... in Dublin Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Get some diesel fumes up the hooter."
- Commented on one of sourbugger's Dublin travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos