"Step back 60 years" Tory Island by sourbugger
Tory Island Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 19 photos
Tory Island County Donegal is situated 11 kilometres off the North West Coast of Ireland. The people of Ireland regard Tory Island as being the jewel in the crown of islands off the coast of Ireland.
The people of Tory Island (Gaeltacht) refer to the mainland as "the country". Tory Island derives its name from the high pinnacle cliffs eroded by the battering swells of the Atlantic.
Tory Island has been populated since the age of Neolithic farmers four thousand years ago. Legend, which dates Tory Island back to the Bronze Age, has it that the island was occupied by a race of pirates whose god - chief was Balor of the Evil Eve.
Much more to come !
- Pros:Isolated and rugged - a blash of fresh air
- Cons:Can get stuck there for weeks
- In a nutshell:Ireland as it used to be - for real
Nightlife on Tory Island revolves fairly and squarely around the pub in the one hotel. Anything that is going on will at... more travel advice
The Tau Cross is very much a symbol of the island and is also a reminder of the monastic period. Situated by the pier it... more travel advice
- Touch 'o hard stuff - it will knock your...
- See All Ring ahead - or you may have to rough it
- Don't get stuck here !
sourbugger's Related Pages
Tory Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Step back 60 years"
- "The most north-westerly point in europe"
- "Toraigh or Tory Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tory Island
- Hotels in Tory Island
- Transportation in Tory Island
- Nightlife in Tory Island
- Shopping in Tory Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Tory Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tory Island
- 15 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Tory Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tory Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 318 reviews, 312 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 209 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 115 reviews, 116 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 87 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 80 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 58 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos